Johan C. Verbeke
|Johan C. Verbeke|
9 July 1951 |
|Known for||UN Observer Mission in Georgia (UNOMIG)|
Verbeke joined the Belgian Ministry of Foreign Affairs in 1981 and has served in various capacities for his country's foreign service, including as Chairman of the Security Council Sanctions Committees on Côte d'Ivoire, Iran and Al Qaida/Taliban, leader of the Security Council Mission to Kosovo (April 2007), Facilitator of the President of the General Assembly for the negotiation of General Assembly-resolutions on Millennium Development Goals-implementation and Economic and Social Council-reform (2005–2006), Personal Representative of the Minister of Foreign Affairs for Counter-Terrorism (2003), Special Envoy of the Prime Minister to the New Partnership for Africa's Development (NEPAD) (2002–2005). Verbeke worked in the Ministry as the Deputy Director General for Political Affairs and as the Deputy Chief of Mission in Washington, D.C.. Since then, he was the Chef de Cabinet of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
Verbeke was the permanent representative of Belgium to the United Nations and to its Security Council. He was briefly the UN special coordinator for Lebanon, serving as the United Nations Secretary General's representative in Lebanon. When he served as Permanent Representative of Belgium to the United Nations, he presented his credentials to the United Nations Secretary-General on 16 September 2004. Later, Verbeke was the Secretary-General’s Special Representative and Head of the UN Observer Mission in Georgia (UNOMIG) in 2008–09.
Jean-Michel Veranneman de Watervliet
|Belgian Ambassador to
the United Kingdom
|Belgian Ambassador to
the United States
- "CV Ambassador Johan Verbeke". Embassy and Consulates of Belgium in the United States. Retrieved 25 January 2016.
- "UN special coordinator for Lebanon arrives in Beirut". Daily Star (Lebanon). 2008-06-05. Retrieved 2008-06-05.
- "Diplomatic Society - H.E. Mr. Johan Verbeke, Ambassador of Belgium, UK". Diplomatic Society. 27 February 2013. Retrieved 13 April 2014.
- The United Nations list of current heads of missions (PDF)
- The biography of Johan Verbeke at the Permanent Mission of Belgium to the United Nations
- CV Ambassador Johan Verbeke
|This article about a Belgian politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|