Johan Martin Ferner in 2007.
|Birth name||Johan Martin Jacobsen|
22 July 1927|
|Died||24 January 2015
(m. 1953; div. 1956)
Princess Astrid of Norway
Johan Martin Ferner (né Johan Martin Jacobsen; 22 July 1927 – 24 January 2015) was a Norwegian sailor and Olympic medalist. He won a silver medal in the 6 metre class with the boat Elisabeth X at the 1952 Summer Olympics in Helsinki, together with Finn Ferner (his brother), Erik Heiberg, Tor Arneberg and Carl Mortensen. He was married to Princess Astrid, the sister of King Harald V of Norway. He was also the brother-in-law of Princess Ragnhild.
Johan Ferner was the son of master tailor Ferner Jacobsen (1885–1964), who owned a department store in Oslo, and his wife, Ragnhild Olsen (1889–1966). He also owned a department store. Ferner was originally his father's given name and was adopted as a family name by Johan Martin Ferner and his siblings. His grandfather was maritime pilot Johan Martin Jacobsen (1850–1907) from Tjøme, son of blacksmith Jacob Andreas Knudsen (1819–1868).
Marriages and children
Firstly, on 20 January 1953, Johan Ferner married artist Ingeborg 'Bitte' Hesselberg-Meyer (later Rostad; 1931–1997). They divorced 1956. He then remarried at Asker Church outside Oslo on 12 January 1961 to Princess Astrid of Norway, the second daughter of King Olav V of Norway and Princess Märtha of Sweden.
The couple had five children and five grandchildren:
- Cathrine Ferner (b. 22 July 1962, Oslo), married 9 December 1989 in Oslo, Arild Johansen (b. 18 June 1961, Oslo), and has two children:
- Sebastian Ferner Johansen (b. 9 March 1990, Oslo).
- Madeleine Ferner Johansen (b. 7 March 1993, Oslo).
- Benedikte Ferner (b. 27 September 1963, Oslo), married firstly 30 April 1994 in Oslo (divorced 1998) Rolf Woods (b. 17 June 1963, Oslo), without issue, and married secondly on 2 December 2000 in Oslo and separated in 2002, Mons Einar Stange (b. 26 May 1962, Oslo), without issue. 
- Alexander Ferner (b. 15 March 1965, Oslo), married 27 July 1996 in Holmenkollen Kapell, Oslo, Margrét Gudmundsdóttir (b. 27 March 1966, Reykjavík, Iceland), and has two children:
- Elisabeth Ferner (b. 30 March 1969, Oslo), married 3 October 1992 in Oslo, Tom Folke Beckmann (b. 14 January 1963, Oslo),  and has one son:
- Benjamin Ferner Beckmann (b. 25 April 1999, Oslo).
- Carl-Christian Ferner (b. 22 October 1972, Oslo), married 4 October 2014 in Oslo, Anna-Stina Slattum Karlsen (b. 23 February 1984). He works for the family business, Ferner Jacobsen AS.  
- Olav V's Silver Jubilee Medal (21/09/1982).
- Olav V's Centenary Medal (02/07/2003).
- Norwegian Royal House Centenary Medal (18/11/2005).
- Commander of the Royal Norwegian Order of St. Olav (10/02/2011).
|Ancestors of Johan Ferner|
- 1952 Summer Olympics – Helsinki, Finland – Sailing – databaseOlympics.com (Retrieved on May 31, 2008)
- "1952 Olympic silver medalist Ferner dies". news.yahoo.com. 24 January 2015.
- Birth announcement in Aftenposten 25 February 1984 No. 95 p. 18 and Norwegian tax lists of 2001 and 2009.
- "OHF-styret". OSF.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Johan Ferner.|