|Johan Frans Retief|
SD & Bar PG SM MMM SAN (Rtd)
20 March 1946|
Cape Town, South Africa
|Service/||South African Navy|
|Years of service||1967 – 2005|
He attended the South African Military Academy after completing his Citizen Force training and graduated with a Bachelor of Military Science degree in 1967 and was judged the Best Student in that year.
He joined the Strike Craft Flotilla, initially as training officer at the inception of the project in 1975. He was the Commissioning Captain of SAS Jim Fouche and attended the Naval Command and Staff Course in 1981. After Completing a year as Staff Officer Surface Warfare, he was appointed Director Naval Operations in 1985. After attending the Joint Staff Course in 1988 he served as Senior Staff Officer Research at the Intelligence Division and then as Military Secretary to the Minister of Defence General Magnus Malan and Ministers Roelf Meyer and Gene Louw.
He was promoted to Rear Admiral and appointed as Chief of Naval Operations with effect from 1 January 1993 until 30 April 1996, after which he served as Inspector-General of the South African National Defence Force.
Awards and decorations
Adm Retief was awarded the following:
- Southern Cross Decoration (SD & Bar)
- iPhrothiya yeGolide (PG) (Golden Protea)
- Southern Cross Medal (SM)
- Military Merit Medal (MMM)
- Pro Patria Medal
- Southern Africa Medal
- General Service Medal
- Unitas Medal
- Medalje vir Troue Diens (Medal for Loyal Service with 40 Year Clasp)
- Good Service Medal, Gold (30 Years)
- Good Service Medal, Silver (20 Years)
- Good Service Medal, Bronze (10 Years)
- Order of Naval Merit (Brazil)
- "Oudleerders erken vir besondere bydraes" [Ex Learners recognised for exceptional contributions]. Die Burger (in Afrikaans). November 11, 2005. Archived from the original on April 2, 2015. Retrieved December 1, 2014.
- Military Academy Roll of Best Students
- "Johan Retief | Who's Who SA". Whoswhosa.co.za. Retrieved 2012-04-29.
- "Vlootoperasies kry nuwe hoof" [New Head for Navy Operations]. Die Burger (in Afrikaans). December 31, 1992. Retrieved December 9, 2014.
- "Suid-Afrikaanse Vloot neem afskeid van Hoof van Operasies" [SA Navy bids farewell to Chief of Naval Operations]. Die Burger (in Afrikaans). November 19, 1992. Retrieved December 9, 2014.
- "Fact file: Chiefs of the South African Navy". DefenceWeb. 2010-01-21. Retrieved 2012-04-29.
- Netshirembe, Lutuno (2011). "CAF Medal parade" (PDF). Ad Astra (1): 25.
| Chief of the South African Navy
2000 – 2005
Refiloe Johannes Mudimu
Established at the Secretariat
| Inspector General DoD
1997 – 2000
| Inspector General SANDF
1996 – 1997
|Renamed IG DoD with migration of Inspectorate to Defence Secretariat|
| Chief of Naval Operations
1993 – 1996
|This biographical article related to the South African military is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|