|Alma mater||Chicago Medical School, Children's Hospital Los Angeles|
Johanna Olson-Kennedy is an American physician who specializes in the care of children and teenagers with gender dysphoria and youth with HIV and chronic pain. She is board-certified in pediatrics and adolescent medicine and is the medical director of the Center for Transyouth Health and Development at Children's Hospital Los Angeles.
Olson-Kennedy has co-authored multiple studies on transgender youth. She also has been interviewed for multiple news pieces. In a 2016 Reuters article, Olson-Kennedy said "I support a social transition for a kid who is in distress and needs to live in a different way." She said that out of approximately 1,000 patients that she had seen, only one reverted to their sex assigned at birth. She opposes mandatory psychological assessments for transgender children seeking treatment, saying in a 2018 Atlantic magazine article: "I don’t send someone to a therapist when I’m going to start them on insulin."
- Olson J, Forbes C, Belzer M (February 2011). "Management of the transgender adolescent". Archives of Pediatrics & Adolescent Medicine. 165 (2): 171–6. doi:10.1001/archpediatrics.2010.275. PMID 21300658.
- "Johanna Olson-Kennedy, MD". Children's Hospital Los Angeles. 2015-11-11. Retrieved 2020-02-01.
- "Transgender Spectrum Conference" (PDF). Washington University in St. Louis. November 2016. Retrieved 2020-01-31.
- Olson-Kennedy, J; Warus, J; Okonta, V; Belzer, M; Clark, LF (2018). "Chest Reconstruction and Chest Dysphoria in Transmasculine Minors and Young Adults: Comparisons of Nonsurgical and Postsurgical Cohorts". JAMA Pediatrics. 172 (5): 431–436. doi:10.1001/jamapediatrics.2017.5440. PMC 5875384. PMID 29507933.
- Olson-Kennedy, Johanna; Cohen-Kettenis, Peggy T.; Kreukels, Baudewijntje P. C.; Meyer-Bahlburg, Heino F. L.; Garofalo, Robert; Meyer, Walter; Rosenthal, Stephen M. (April 2016). "Research priorities for gender nonconforming/transgender youth: gender identity development and biopsychosocial outcomes". Current Opinion in Endocrinology, Diabetes and Obesity. 23 (2): 172–179. doi:10.1097/MED.0000000000000236. ISSN 1752-2978. PMC 4807860. PMID 26825472.
- Olson-Kennedy, Johanna; Okonta, Vivian; Clark, Leslie F.; Belzer, Marvin (April 2018). "Physiologic Response to Gender-Affirming Hormones Among Transgender Youth". The Journal of Adolescent Health. 62 (4): 397–401. doi:10.1016/j.jadohealth.2017.08.005. ISSN 1879-1972. PMC 7050572. PMID 29056436.
- EDT, Zoë Schlanger On 7/21/15 at 10:32 AM (2015-07-21). "Transgender Youth Don't Have Anything Wrong With Their Hormones".
- "NY will soon make it easier for trans youths to delay puberty". PBS NewsHour. 2016-11-27. Retrieved 2020-02-01.
- Peled, Shachar. "Transgender boy is barred from Boy Scouts". CNN. Retrieved 2020-02-01.
- Layden, Tim. "American Hero: Jenner comfortable in her own skin". Sports Illustrated. Retrieved 2020-02-01.
- Daniel Trotta (December 22, 2016). "U.S. parents accept children's transgender identity by age three". Reuters.
- Singal, Jesse (July 2018). "When Children Say They're Trans". The Atlantic. Retrieved 2020-02-01.
- Transgender Community Questions & Answers With Johanna Olson, MD – CHLA’s Transyouth Program (archived)
- Human Rights Campaign: Transgender Children & Youth: Ask the Expert - Is My Child Transgender?