|Born||23 March 1906
|Died||28 February 2000
|Years of service||1934–45|
|Commands held||Festungs-Grenadier-Regiment Kreta|
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross|
|Other work||Police officer|
Johannes Barge (23 March 1906 – 28 February 2000) was a highly decorated Oberst in the Wehrmacht during World War II. He was also a recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross. The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross was awarded to recognise extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership. He is also responsible of German military operations causing Cephalonia Massacre in September 1943.
Awards and decorations
- Iron Cross (1939)
- 2nd Class (12 October 1939)
- 1st Class (19 February 1942)
- Wound Badge (1939)
- in Black (4 March 1942)
- Infantry Assault Badge in Silver (16 September 1942)
- Eastern Front Medal (20 July 1942)
- German Cross in Gold on 28 July 1943 as Major in Infanterie-Bataillon 550 z.b.V.
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross on 10 May 1945 as Oberst and commander of Festungs-Grenadier-Regiment Kreta[Note 1]
- Unlawful presentation of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross to Johannes Barge by the Dönitz Government after 8 May 1945. This can be verified by the radio communication dated on 21 May 1945. The presentation date was backdated by Walther-Peer Fellgiebel. Barge was a member of the Association of Knight's Cross Recipients.
- Patzwall & Scherzer 2001, p. 24.
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 104.
- Scherzer 2007, p. 118.
- Fellgiebel, Walther-Peer (2000) . Die Träger des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939–1945 — Die Inhaber der höchsten Auszeichnung des Zweiten Weltkrieges aller Wehrmachtteile [The Bearers of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939–1945 — The Owners of the Highest Award of the Second World War of all Wehrmacht Branches] (in German). Friedberg, Germany: Podzun-Pallas. ISBN 978-3-7909-0284-6.
- Patzwall, Klaus D.; Scherzer, Veit (2001). Das Deutsche Kreuz 1941 – 1945 Geschichte und Inhaber Band II [The German Cross 1941 – 1945 History and Recipients Volume 2] (in German). Norderstedt, Germany: Verlag Klaus D. Patzwall. ISBN 978-3-931533-45-8.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Die Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives [The Knight's Cross Bearers 1939–1945 The Holders of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939 by Army, Air Force, Navy, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Allied Forces with Germany According to the Documents of the Federal Archives] (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Militaer-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-938845-17-2.