Johannes Jacobus Geldenhuys
|Born||5 February 1935|
Kroonstad, South Africa
|Died||10 September 2018 (aged 83)|
George, South Africa
|Service/||South African Army|
|Years of service||1954–1990|
|Commands held||Chief of the South African Defence Force (1985–90)|
Chief of the Army (1980–85)
South West Africa Territorial Force (1980)
South West Africa Command (1977–80)
|Battles/wars||South African Border War|
|Awards||Star of South Africa|
Southern Cross Decoration
South African Police Star for Outstanding Service
Southern Cross Medal
Military Merit Medal
General Johannes Jacobus Geldenhuys, SSA, SD, SOE, SM, MMM (5 February 1935 – 10 September 2018) was a South African military commander who served as Chief of the South African Defence Force from 1985 to 1990.
Born in Kroonstad on 5 February 1935, Geldenhuys obtained a BMil from the University of Pretoria before joining 1 Special Service Battalion.:77 He went on to high command in the South African Army, serving as commander of South West Africa Command from 1977 until 1980, when he was briefly appointed as General Officer Commanding the South West African Territorial Force. Later in 1980, he became Chief of the Army. Geldenbuys was promoted to general and assumed the position of Chief of the South African Defence Force on 31 October 1985. In this role, he took part in negotiations that brought the Border War to an end in 1989, after 23 years of fighting.
Medals and decorations
This section does not cite any sources. (September 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- Star of South Africa (SSA)
- Southern Cross Decoration (SD)
- South African Police Star for Outstanding Service (SOE)
- Southern Cross Medal (SM)
- Military Merit Medal (MMM)
- Pro Patria Medal
- Good Service Medal, Gold (30 Years)
- Good Service Medal, Silver (20 Years)
- Permanent Force Good Service Medal
- Knight Order of Prince Henry (GCIH) (Portugal)
- Grand Cross of Order Military Merit (Paraguay)
- Order of the Cloud and Banner - with Grand Cordon (2nd Grade) (ORB)(Taiwan)
- Grand Star of Military Merit (Chile)
- Kolberg, Kristy (September 10, 2018). "RETIRED DEFENCE FORCE LEADER DIES". George Herald. Retrieved September 13, 2018.
- "5 February 1935: General Jannie Geldenhuys is born". SA History.org. Archived from the original on 11 February 2007. Retrieved 21 November 2010.
- "Senior (High Office) Officers / Offisiere". SADF Info. Archived from the original on 23 March 2011. Retrieved 21 November 2010.
- Uys, Ian (1992). South African Military Who's Who 1452–1992. Germiston: Fortress Publishers. ISBN 0-9583173-3-X.
- Geldenhuys, Jannie (2009). At the Front: A General's Account of South Africa's Border War. Johannesburg, South Africa: Jonathan Ball Publishers SA. ISBN 978-1-86842-331-6.
- Cadman, Mike. "General Jannie Geldenhuys - Missing Voices Project" (pdf).
| Chief of the South African Defence Force
| Chief of the Army|
| GOC South West Africa Command