SSAS, SD, SOE, SM, GCIH, ORB
5 February 1935|
Kroonstad, Orange Free State Province, Union of South Africa
|Service/branch||South African Army|
|Years of service||1954 – 1990|
Born in Kroonstad on 5 February 1935, He obtained a BMil from the University of Pretoria before joining 1 Special Service Battalion.:77 Later he went on to higher command in 1977, serving as commander of South West Africa Command, a post he held until 1980, when he served in the position of General Officer Commanding the South West African Territorial Force. After this he became Chief of the Army, before being promoted to the position of Chief of the South African Defence Force on 31 October 1985. In this role, he took part in negotiations that brought the Border War to an end in 1989, after 23 years of fighting.
Medals and Decorations
- Star of South Africa (SSA)
- Southern Cross Medal (SM)
- Military Merit Medal (MMM)
- Good Service Medal, Gold (30 Years)
- Good Service Medal, Silver (20 Years)
- Knight Order of Prince Henry (GCIH) (Portugal)
- Grand Cross of Order Military Merit (Paraguay)
- Order of the Cloud and Banner - with Grand Cordon (2nd Grade) (ORB)(Taiwan)
- "5 February 1935: General Jannie Geldenhuys is born". SA History.org. Archived from the original on 11 February 2007. Retrieved 21 November 2010.
- "Senior (High Office) Officers / Offisiere". SADF Info. Archived from the original on 23 March 2011. Retrieved 21 November 2010.
- Uys, Ian (1992). South African Military Who's Who 1452-1992. Germiston: Fortress Publishers. ISBN 0-9583173-3-X.
|Chief of the South African Defence Force
1985 – 1990
|Chief of the South African Army
1980 – 1985
|GOC South West Africa
1977 – 1980