|Faction represented in Dewan Rakyat|
|2008–2018||People's Justice Party|
|Faction represented in Kedah State Legislative Assembly|
|2018–||Chairman of Pakatan Harapan Backbenchers Club|
|2020–||Chairman of Pakatan Harapan for Kedah|
Johari bin Abdul
25 May 1955
Tikam Batu, Sungai Petani, Kedah, Federation of Malaya (now Malaysia)
|Political party||People's Justice Party (PKR)|
|Pakatan Harapan (PH)|
Pakatan Rakyat (PR)
Barisan Alternatif (BA)
|Alma mater||Lancaster University|
|Johari Abdul on Parliament of Malaysia|
Dato' Johari bin Abdul (Jawi: جوهري بن عبدال; born 25 May 1955) is a Malaysian politician who has served as the Member of Parliament (MP) for Sungai Petani since March 2008, Member of the Kedah State Legislative Assembly (MLA) for Gurun since May 2018 and Chairman of the Pakatan Harapan Backbenchers Club (PHBBC) in the Dewan Rakyat, Parliament since August 2018. He is a member of the People's Justice Party (PKR), a component party of the Pakatan Harapan (PH) opposition coalition. He was Director of the National Civics Bureau (NCB).
Early life and education
He was elected as the MP for Sungai Petani in the 2008 general election, defeating Minister of Information Zainuddin Maidin from the ruling Barisan Nasional (BN) coalition and re-elected in the 2013 and 2018 general elections. He was also elected as the MLA for Gurun in the 2018 general election, defeating Leong Yong Kong from the ruling BN coalition.
|1999||Johari Abdul (PKR)||19,742||38.25%||Mahadzir Mohd Khir (UMNO)||31,875||61.75%||55,457||12,133||76.54%|
|2008||Johari Abdul (PKR)||33,822||58.05%||Zainuddin Maidin (UMNO)||24,441||41.95%||59,378||9,381||77.84%|
|2013||Johari Abdul (PKR)||44,194||55.37%||Syamsul Anuar Che Mey (UMNO)||34,646||43.41%||81,024||9,548||86.96%|
|Suhaimi Hashim (KITA)||200||0.25%|
|Ong Wei Sin (IND)||772||0.97%|
|2018||Johari Abdul (PKR)||45,532||49.21%||Shahanim Mohd Yusoff (UMNO)||23,963||25.90%||93,847||21,569||83.36%|
|Sharir Long (PAS)||22,760||24.60%|
|Sritharan Pichathu (PRM)||279||0.30%|
|2004||N28 Bakar Arang||Johari Abdul (PKR)||5,305||26.82%||Seng Koon Huat (MCA)||14,204||71.82%||19,778||8,899||75.13%|
|2018||N22 Gurun||Johari Abdul (PKR)||10,732||37.60%||Boey Chin Gan (MCA)||6,525||22.90%||23,155||4,207||81.20%|
|Muzaini Azizan (PAS)||5,257||18.40%|
|Palaniappan Marimuthu (IND)||167||0.60%|
- Kedah :
- "Keputusan Pilihan Raya Umum Parlimen/Dewan Undangan Negeri". Election Commission of Malaysia. Retrieved 10 May 2013. Percentage figures based on total turnout, excluding informal votes.
- "Malaysia General Election". undiinfo Malaysian Election Data. Malaysiakini. Retrieved 4 February 2017. Results only available from the 2004 election.
- "KEPUTUSAN PILIHAN RAYA UMUM 13". Sistem Pengurusan Maklumat Pilihan Raya Umum (in Malay). Election Commission of Malaysia. Retrieved 24 March 2017.
- "SEMAKAN KEPUTUSAN PILIHAN RAYA UMUM KE - 14" (in Malay). Election Commission of Malaysia. Retrieved 17 May 2018. Percentage figures based on total turnout.
- "The Star Online GE14". The Star. Retrieved 24 May 2018. Percentage figures based on total turnout.
- "Kedah Sultan to honour 62". The Star. 18 January 2009. Retrieved 22 October 2018.