John's Roast Pork
|John's Roast Pork|
John's Roast Pork sign
|Current owner(s)||John Bucci Jr.|
|Food type||Roast pork sandwich, cheesesteaks and other sandwiches|
|Street address||14 E Snyder Avenue|
John's Roast Pork is a roast pork and cheesesteak eatery that was founded in 1930 at its original location on East Snyder Avenue in Philadelphia. The eatery is considered a favorite among South Philadelphia locals and has gained mainstream recognition for its roast pork and cheesesteaks.
John's Roast Pork was established in 1930 and is currently being run by John Bucci Jr., the family's third generation. The restaurant is known for its short hours, historically only open from 6:45 AM to 3:00 PM. In 2013, it expanded to serving after hours at Mick Daniel's Saloon two blocks away. In 2015, John's extended its hours, opening from 7 AM to 7 PM.
John's roast pork sandwich and sharp provolone cheesesteaks were featured in the championship finale of the Travel Channel’s Best Sandwich in America and has been described by food critic Andrew Zimmern as well-seasoned to the secret Bucci family recipe and deboned “right on premises”.
The establishment was designated as an “American Classic” for roast pork by the James Beard Foundation in 2006.
- Birch, T. (2015). Discovering Vintage Philadelphia: A Guide to the City's Timeless Shops, Bars, Delis & More. Discovering Vintage. Globe Pequot Press. p. 111–114. ISBN 978-1-4930-1400-2. Retrieved December 5, 2017.
- Stern, J.; Stern, M. (2009). 500 Things to Eat Before It's Too Late: And the Very Best Places to Eat Them. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. p. 78. ISBN 978-0-547-05907-5. Retrieved December 5, 2017.
- "John's Roast Pork". Visit Philly. Retrieved 2015-01-16.
- Stern, J.; Stern, M. (2014). Roadfood: The Coast-to-Coast Guide to 900 of the Best Barbecue Joints, Lobster Shacks, Ice Cream Parlors, Highway Diners, and Much, Much More, now in its 9th edition. Potter/TenSpeed/Harmony. p. 188-189. ISBN 978-0-7704-3453-3. Retrieved December 5, 2017.
- Michael Klein (2013-03-01). "John's Roast Pork expanding". Philly.com. Retrieved 2015-01-16.
- Arthur Etchells (2014-10-31). "John's Roast Pork extending hours". Philly.com. Retrieved 2015-09-09.
- John F. Morrison (2014-12-18). "John C. "Butch" Gleason, 66, sales manager for Phillip Morris". Philly.com. Retrieved 2015-01-16.
- Gigler, Dan (October 9, 2016). "Munch goes to Philadelphia (for 25 hours)". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Retrieved December 5, 2017.
- Skyler Bouchard (2013-04-12). "Sandwich of the Week: John's Roast Pork Sandwich". The Daily Meal. Retrieved 2015-01-16.
- Bruni, Frank (20 April 2007). "Attitude Off the Beaten Track". Diner’s Journal Blog New York Times. Retrieved 2015-01-16.
- Niki Achitoff-Gray (2015-01-13). "The Best Roast Pork Sandwiches in Philadelphia". SeriousEats. Retrieved 2015-01-16.
- Karnash, Chelsea (August 16, 2012). "Roast Pork From DiNic's Wins 'Best Sandwich In America'". CBS Philly. Retrieved December 5, 2017.