Augustyn at the 2008 Tour de France
|Full name||John-Lee Augustyn|
10 August 1986 |
Kimberley, South Africa
|2005–2006||Team Konica Minolta|
John-Lee Augustyn (born 10 August 1986) is a South African former professional road bicycle racer. His former teams include Team Sky, Barloworld and MTN–Qhubeka. Following a hip resurfacing operation in 2011, he moved to the UCI Professional Continental team Utensilnord–Named, but continued to suffer problems, indicating the hip implant was not coping with the rigours of professional racing. Following medical advice announced in May 2012 that he was taking an indefinite break from professional cycling. However Augustyn returned to the professional peloton in 2014, with the MTN–Qhubeka team.
Tour de France 2008
During Stage 16 of the 2008 Tour in his second professional year, John-Lee crested Cime de la Bonette in first place before shortly and spectacularly overshooting a hairpin bend on the descent. He was thrown from his bike, sliding 30 metres down the shale mountainside before recovering to complete the stage.
Following a comeback with the newly formed MTN–Qhubeka, Augustyn was forced to retire from professional cycling in May 2014 due to a persistent hip problem which originated in a crash at the 2007 Volta a Portugal, which caused avascular necrosis of the femoral head. On his retirement John-Lee vowed to give something back to the sport that he loved. Quickly gaining his UCI coaching acrreditions he was approached by a number of teams to help assist with coaching and mentoring younger neo pros. He spent the summer of 2015 in Europe working at some of the biggest races on the calendar. He now lives on Lago d'Iseo in Italy with his wife. He is often seen riding his  bike, a brand he has been an ambassador for since 2015 for along with SAKO7 socks and cycling apparel.
2005 SELECTED RESULTS
- 1st, [Belgotex Classic] Hill climb time trial
- 2nd, National Criterium Championships
- 3rd, Stage 2, Giro del Capo,
- 1st, Karoo2005
- 2nd, Stage 2 Sports Tech Arden challenge
2006 SELECTED RESULTS
2007 SELECTED RESULTS (TEAM BARLOWORLD)
1st - Volta ao Alentejo, Mountain classification 3rd – Stage 3, Vuelta Asturias 3rd – Vuelta Asturias, General Classification
2008 SELECTED RESULTS (TEAM BARLOWORLD)
8th - Subida al Naranco 5th – Tour De France, KOM classification 24th - Beijing Olympic Road Race
2009 SELECTED RESULTS (TEAM BARLOWORLD)
23rd - Flèche Wallone 77th - Giro d'Italia - Whites Jersey Wearer Giro d'Italia
2010 SELECTED RESULTS (TEAM SKY)
6th - Stage 2, Tour of Austria 12th - Tour of Austria, General Classification
- "John-Lee Augustyn signs for MTN-Qhubeka". Cyclingnews.com. Future plc. 21 October 2013. Retrieved 18 December 2013.
- Stokes, Shane (14 October 2011). "Augustyn speaks about move from Team Sky to Utensilnord Named squad". VeloNation. VeloNation LLC. Retrieved 6 January 2012.
- Augustyn thankful to survive Tour plunge The Free Library Accessed 04 September 2014
- "John-Lee Augustyn announces second and final retirement". cyclingnews.com. 10 May 2015. Retrieved 17 October 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to John-Lee Augustyn.|