John 19:1-7 on the verso side of Papyrus 90, written AD 150-175.
|Book||Gospel of John|
|Bible part||New Testament|
|Order in the Bible part||4|
John 19 is the nineteenth chapter of the Gospel of John in the New Testament of the Christian Bible. It records the events on the day of the crucifixion of Jesus Christ, until His burial. The book containing this chapter is anonymous, but early Christian tradition uniformly affirmed that John composed this Gospel.
- The original text is written in Koine Greek.
- Some most ancient manuscripts containing this chapter are:
- This chapter is divided into 42 verses.
Events recorded in this chapter took place in Jerusalem.
The New King James Version organises this chapter as follows:
- John 19:1-4 = The Soldiers Mock Jesus (continued from John 18:38-40; Matthew 27:15-31; Mark 15:6-20; Luke 23:13-25)
- John 19:5-16 = Pilate’s Decision (Matthew 26:57)
- John 19:17-24 = The King on a Cross (Matthew 27:32-38; Mark 15:21-27; Luke 23:26,33-43)
- John 19:25-27 = Behold Your Mother
- John 19:28-30 = It Is Finished (Matthew 27:45-50; Mark 15:33-37; Luke 23:44-46)
- John 19:31-37 = Jesus’ Side Is Pierced
- John 19:38-42 = Jesus Buried in Joseph’s Tomb (Matthew 27:57-61; Mark 15:42-47; Luke 23:50-56)
- John 19:24: Psalm 22:18
- John 19:36: Exodus 12:46; Numbers 9:12; Psalm 34:20
- John 19:37: Zechariah 12:10
- Now Pilate wrote a title and put it on the cross. And the writing was:
- JESUS OF NAZARETH, THE KING OF THE JEWS.
- Therefore, because it was the Preparation Day, that the bodies should not remain on the cross on the Sabbath (for that Sabbath was a high day), the Jews asked Pilate that their legs might be broken, and that they might be taken away.
- Burial of Jesus
- Crucifixion of Jesus
- Jesus Christ
- "Jesus, King of the Jews"
- Joseph of Arimathea
- Pontius Pilate
- Other related Bible parts: Exodus 12, Numbers 9, Psalm 22, Psalm 34, Zechariah 12, Matthew 2, Matthew 27, Mark 15, Luke 23, John 3
- Halley, Henry H. Halley's Bible Handbook: an abbreviated Bible commentary. 23rd edition. Zondervan Publishing House. 1962.
- Holman Illustrated Bible Handbook. Holman Bible Publishers, Nashville, Tennessee. 2012.
- John 19:19
- John 19:31
|Chapters of the Bible
Gospel of John