John A. Fraser (businessman)
|Secretary of the Department of the Treasury|
|Born||John A. Fraser
8 August 1951
|Alma mater||Monash University|
Life and career
Fraser graduated from Monash University in Australia in 1972 with a first class honours degree in Economics. He worked for the Australian Treasury, including two international postings to Washington DC, firstly at the International Monetary Fund and then as Economic Minister at the Australian embassy. He was Deputy Secretary (Economic) of the Department of the Treasury.
Fraser joined the UBS Group in Australia in 1993 and was named Head of Asia Pacific for the Business Group in 1999. From 1994 to 1998 he was Executive Chairman and CEO of Swiss Bank Corporation's division SBC Australia Funds Management Ltd. He was Chairman and CEO of UBS Global Asset Management from December 2001 until December 2013. Prior to that, he was President and Chief Operating Officer of UBS Asset Management and Head of Asia Pacific.
In December 2014, Prime Minister Tony Abbott announced John Fraser's appointment as Secretary of the Treasury Department, to commence 15 January 2015. The appointment is for five years. Treasurer Joe Hockey said that, in his new role, Fraser would be asked to undertake a thorough review of the Treasury Department's resources and capabilities.
- Wilson, Peter (29 December 2007). "Aussie expat at summit of UK banking". The Australian. Retrieved 23 May 2010.
- "John A. Fraser career details". SECinfo. Retrieved 2008-10-13.
- John A. Fraser, UBS Group, archived from the original on 22 December 2013
- Logutenkova, Elena. "UBS Names Ulrich Koerner to Head Asset Management Unit". Bloomeberg. Retrieved 20 March 2014.
- Shanahan, Dennis (8 December 2014). "Banker John Fraser takes Treasury secretary role". The Australian. News Ltd.
- Hurst, Daniel (8 December 2014). "John Fraser replaces Martin Parkinson as Treasury secretary". The Guardian. Archived from the original on 8 December 2014.
- "John Fraser appointed Treasury Secretary". The Sydney Morning Herald. Fairfax Media. 8 December 2014. Archived from the original on 8 December 2014.
- Martin, Peter (8 December 2014). "Duty calls John Fraser back to head Australia's treasury". Brisbane Times. Fairfax Media. Archived from the original on 8 December 2014.
- "Former public servant to head Treasury". The Age. Fairfax Media. AAP. 8 December 2014. Archived from the original on 8 December 2014.
- Cullen, Simon (8 December 2014). "John Fraser named as new secretary of Treasury Department after departure of Martin Parkinson". Australian Broadcasting Commission. Archived from the original on 8 December 2014.
|Secretary of the Department of the Treasury