John Abraham (actor)
17 December 1972
Kochi, Kerala, India
|Occupation||Actor, film producer, model|
|Relatives||Susy Mathew (cousin)
Alan (younger brother)
John Abraham (born 17 December 1972) is an Indian film actor, producer and a former model of Irani Zoroastrian and South Indian descent. After modelling for numerous advertisements and companies, Abraham made his film debut with Jism (2003), which earned him a Filmfare Best Debut Award nomination.
This was followed by his first commercial success, Dhoom (2004). He received two Filmfare Award nominations, for his negative roles in Dhoom, and in Zinda (2006). He later appeared in the major critical success Water (2005). He was nominated for a Filmfare Award for Best Supporting Actor for the film Baabul (2006). Since then, Abraham has starred in many critically and commercially successful films including Dostana (2008), New York (2009), Force (2011), Shootout at Wadala (2013) and Madras Cafe (2013).
In 2012, he produced his first film Vicky Donor, which was a critical and commercial success, and earned him a National Film Award for Best Popular Film Providing Wholesome Entertainment. Then he established his own production house, John Abraham Entertainment. His second film as a producer was Madras Cafe, which garnered fantastic critical acclaim. His athletic and muscular physique has contributed to his status as one of the most influential sex symbols in Bollywood. He is the co-owner of the Indian Super League football team NorthEast United FC.
Early and personal life
John Abraham was born to a Malayali Nasrani father and a Irani Zoroastrian mother. Since he lived with his mother most of his life, he is able to speak fluent Gujarati. His father, Abraham John, is an architect from Aluva, Kerala; his mother is Firoza Irani. Abraham's Persian name is "Farhan" while his father being a Marthomite Syrian Christian named him "John." He has a sister Susy Mathew and a younger brother Alan Abraham. Abraham studied at Bombay Scottish School in Mumbai. He got his bachelor's degree in economics from Jai Hind College. Abraham also received an MBA from Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies 
During the filming of Jism in 2002, Abraham began to date his co-star Bipasha Basu. They were in a relationship until early 2011. Whilst together, the two were often referred to as a supercouple in the Indian media. He is now married to Priya Runchal, an NRI financial analyst and investment banker from the USA but native to McLeodganj, whom he met in Mumbai, in December 2010.
John Abraham started his modelling career appearing in the music video of the song "Surma" by Punjabi singer Jazzy B. He then joined a media firm Time & Space Media Entertainment Promotions Ltd., which however closed because of financial problems. Later, he worked for Enterprises-Nexus as a media planner. In 1999, he won the Gladrags Manhunt Contest and went to the Philippines for Manhunt International, where he runner up second place. he later modelled in Hong Kong, London and New York City. He also appeared in a number of commercial advertisements and in other music videos for singers including Pankaj Udhas, Hans Raj Hans and Babul Supriyo. To improve his acting skills, Abraham joined the Kishore Namit Kapoor acting laboratory and completed an acting course while juggling modelling assignments.
In 2005 he starred in the supernatural thriller Kaal and the comedy Garam Masala both of which did well at the box office. Later that year, he had a role in Water, which portrayed the tragic fate of Hindu widows in British India of the 1930s. The film was written and directed by independent Canadian film-maker Deepa Mehta. It was popular internationally, and was nominated for the 2006 Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film at the 79th Academy Awards. Abraham attended the ceremony along with the film's crew and makers but the film lost to Germany's The Lives of Others.
In the summer of 2006, Abraham performed at the "Rockstars Concert" along with fellow Bollywood actors Salman Khan, Zayed Khan, Kareena Kapoor, Esha Deol, Shahid Kapoor and Mallika Sherawat. In that same year, he starred in the films Zinda, Taxi No. 9211, Baabul and Kabul Express. Among these Taxi No. 9211 and Kabul Express were substantially successful.
Nikhil Advani's multi-starrer Salaam-e-Ishq: A Tribute to Love was Abraham's first release in 2007. The movie failed to do well at the Indian box office, though it did well in the overseas markets. His last two 2007 releases included the thriller No Smoking and the sports film Dhan Dhana Dhan Goal.
He has a fashion line— branded JA Clothes — which primarily features his favorite article of clothing, jeans.
In 2011, was seen in the films Aashayein and Jhootha Hi Sahi. Both of the films turned out to be box office failures. Lately, Abraham has appeared in films Force (2011), Desi Boyz (2011), and Housefull 2 (2012). His first film of 2013 was the multi-starrer Race 2 which was commercially successful, though his second release the coming-of-age romantic comedy I, Me Aur Main, under performed at the box office. His next release was Shootout at Wadala, in which he was portraying the role of gangster Manya Surve which gained positive reviews. The film emerged a success at the box office. His latest movie Madras Cafe, which also is a second movie for him as a producer garnered much critical acclaim, also the collections of the movie saw an upward trend after the terrific word of mouth.
His debut film as a producer was titled Vicky Donor (2012) and featured Ayushmann Khurrana, Annu Kapoor and Yami Gautam. Abraham also appeared in an item-number for the film. It opened to positive response, and turned out to be a critical and commercial success. His second production, Madras Cafe which is also directed by Shoojit Sircar, opened to overwhelming response from the critics, and after taking a positive start at the box-office, the film saw an enormous jump owing to the terrific word of mouth. Abraham has also announced his ideas on Hamara Bajaj, an upcoming reality film he is planning with most of the cast & crew of Vicky Donor.
After having no release in 2014, Abraham will be back in 2015 with Welcome Back, sequel to the 2007 film Welcome opposite Shruti Haasan and Anil Kapoor. He is then slated to appear in a pivotal role Sanjay Gupta's Jazbaa opposite Aishwarya Rai Bachchan and Huma Qureshi. He has also commenced filming for Rocky Handsome opposite Shruti Haasan and Nathalia Kaur slated for October 2015 release. He has also begun work on a crime thriller Mumbai Saga alongside Huma Qureshi and Vivek Oberoi. He has committed to star in and will start filming for Hera Pheri 3 in March 2015.
In January 2009, Abraham led a group of Indian celebrities in the Mumbai Marathon, an annual event to benefit the United Way. He did not run the marathon, but encouraged the participants by waving at them from the start line.
|2003||Jism||Kabir Lal||Nominated – Filmfare Award for Best Male Debut|
|2003||Saaya||Dr.Akash / "Akki"|
|2004||Lakeer – Forbidden Lines||Saahil|
|2004||Dhoom||Kabir||Nominated – Filmfare Award for Best Performance in a Negative Role|
|2005||Garam Masala||Shyam / "Sam"|
|2006||Zinda||Rohit Chopra||Nominated – Filmfare Award for Best Performance in a Negative Role|
|2006||Kabhi Alvida Na Kehna||Special appearance in the song "Where's The Party Tonight?"|
|2006||Taxi No. 9211||Jai Mittal|
|2006||Baabul||Rajat||Nominated – Filmfare Award for Best Supporting Actor|
|2006||Kabul Express||Suhel Khan|
|2007||Salaam-e-Ishq: A Tribute to Love||Ashutosh Raina|
|2007||Hattrick||Special appearance in the song "Wicket Bacha"|
|2007||Dhan Dhana Dhan Goal||Sunny Bhasin|
|2009||Luck by Chance||Himself||Special appearance|
|2009||Little Zizou||Arjun||Special appearance|
|2009||New York||Samir / "Sam"|
|2010||Jhootha Hi Sahi||Sid|
|2011||7 Khoon Maaf||Jimmy Stetson|
|2011||Mere Brother Ki Dulhan||Himself||Special appearance|
|2011||Force (2011 film)||ACP Yashvardhan|
|2011||Desi Boyz||Nick Mathur / "Hunter"|
|2012||Vicky Donor||Special appearance in the song "Rum Whisky"|
|2013||Race 2||Armaan Malik|
|2013||I, Me, aur Main||Ishaan Sabharwal|
|2013||Shootout at Wadala||Manya Surve|
|2013||Madras Cafe||Vikram Singh|
|2015||Welcome Back||Sharad Gupta||Post-production|
|2015||Hera Pheri 3||Raju||Filming|
|2015||"M. S. Dhoni: The Untold Story"||Yuvraj Singh||Filming|
|2012||Vicky Donor||National Film Award for Best Popular Film Providing Wholesome Entertainment
Nominated – Filmfare Award for Best Film
|2015||Satra Ko Shaadi Hai||Filming|
|2016||Agra Ka Daabra||Pre-production|
Awards and nominations
|2006||Rajiv Gandhi Award for his achievement in Bollywood||Yes|||
|2007||Giant International Awards for his contribution to Indian cinema||Yes|
|2008||Sexiest Asian Man||Yes|||
|2009||Loins Club Award||Yes|||
|2011||India's Sexiest Bachelor by the BIG CBS PRIME||Yes|||
|2012||Most Stylish Man – GQ Awards (India)||Yes|||
- "John Abraham enters Bollywood with Jism". Times of India. 10 January 2003. Retrieved 3 September 2010.
- "Water (2005)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 3 September 2010.
- "John Abraham, People's sexiest man alive, says girlfriend thrilled with the tag". IBNLive. Retrieved 4 January 2015.
- "John Abraham, named the sexiest man alive by People magazine (PHOTOS) – Style Me India". Style Me India. Retrieved 4 January 2015.
- Priya Gupta (6 December 2012). "Hrithik is more good-looking than me: John Abraham". Times Of India. Retrieved 6 February 2013.
- "John Abraham Indian actor Model Profile biography Movie list » Psyphil Celebrity Blog". Celebrity.psyphil.com. 17 December 1992. Retrieved 13 June 2012.
- "Pics: John Abraham with his cousin Susy Matthew". Indicine.com. 21 February 2012. Retrieved 6 February 2013.
- Manav Manglani. "John Abraham Gifts Audi Q Life To Sister-in-law On Her Birthday In Bandra". Koimoi.com. Retrieved 6 February 2013.
- "John Abraham gives his sister-in-law an Beater Car". Pinkvilla. 10 October 2012. Retrieved 6 February 2013.
- UTV New Media Ltd. (17 January 2003). "JohnAbraham.com : Official Website With Latest News, Photos, Videos and Updates From The Bollywood Star". Utvjohn.com. Retrieved 13 June 2012.
- "John Abraham". John Abraham. Retrieved 13 June 2012.
- "John Abraham Latest Movies Videos Images Photos Wallpapers Songs Biography Trivia On". Gomolo.com. Retrieved 13 June 2012.
- John Abraham Biography. bollywoodchaska.com
- "Relationship with John over for good: Bipasha". Mid-Day. 25 July 2011. Retrieved 31 December 2011.
- "It's London in spring time!". The Times of India. 4 April 2007. Retrieved 3 September 2009.
- "Priya Runchal". Miss Mahi. 3 June 2014.
- "Wedding bells Kangra Mcleodganj". Times of India. 19 April 2012.
- "Surma' - John Abraham Jazzy B (Punjabi Album) HQ.flv". YouTube. 21 October 2010. Retrieved 21 July 2012.
- "John Abraham-Portfolio Pics- The Times of India Photogallery Page 57". Photogallery.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 21 July 2012.
- "Images: Top models who became actors – Rediff Getahead". Rediff.com. 19 November 2010. Retrieved 21 July 2012.
- "Birthday Boy John Abraham » NDTV Movies". Movies.ndtv.com. Retrieved 21 July 2012.
- "Box Office 2003". Boxofficeindia.com. Retrieved 4 January 2015.
- "Box Office 2004". Dhoom. Boxofficeindia.com. Retrieved 4 January 2015.
- "Box Office 2005". Boxofficeindia.com. Retrieved 4 January 2015.
- "2007". Oscars.org – Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Retrieved 4 January 2015.
- "Bollywood rocks Atlantic City". bollyvista.com. Retrieved 12 May 2006.
- "Box Office 2006". Boxofficeindia.com. Retrieved 4 January 2015.
- "Box Office 2007". Salaam-e-Ishq. Boxofficeindia.com. Retrieved 4 January 2015.
- "Overseas Earnings (Figures in Ind Rs)". Boxofficeindia.com. Retrieved 4 January 2015.
- "John Abraham shoots an item number for ‘Vicky Donor’". Page3bollywood.com. 20 March 2012. Retrieved 13 June 2012.
- "John Abraham beefs up for 'Rocky Handsome' and 'Dishoom'" (Mid-Day.com). Mid Day. Retrieved 17 March 2015.
- Hiren Kotwani (24 January 2015). "Hera Pheri 3 promises to be thrice as funny".
- "Habitat for Humanity". Johnabraham.com. Retrieved 29 June 2007.
- "Habitat for Humanity". Habitatindia.in. Retrieved 29 June 2007.
- "John Donates Rs 10 Lakh to Pediatric Centre of Nanavati Hospital". Johnabraham.com. Retrieved 9 December 2007.
- "John with Soha at Mumbai Marathon". Radiosargam.com. Retrieved 19 January 2009.
- "Ban animals in circus, John urges government". Newkerala.com. Retrieved 4 January 2015.
- "Madhuri wraps 'Gulaab Gang' shoot". India.nydailynews.com. Retrieved 4 January 2015.
- "Newbie Harshvardhan Rane excited to be launched by John Abraham". Indiatoday.intoday.in. 22 March 2014. Retrieved 4 January 2015.
- "John Abraham awarded Rajiv Gandhi Award". Nowrunning.com. 21 August 2006.
- "John Abraham voted sexiest Asian man". Apunkachoice.com. 13 December 2008.
- "Loins Club Award". Mapsofindia.com. Retrieved 4 January 2015.
- "John bags the title of 'India's Sexiest Bachelor'". Glamsham Magazine. Retrieved 16 September 2011.
- 2012 GQ India Men of the Year. gqindia.com. 10 December 2013
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to John Abraham.|