John Adams High School (Ohio)
|John Adams High School|
|3817 Martin Luther King Jr. Drive
Cleveland, (Cuyahoga County), Ohio 44105
|Type||Public, Coeducational high school|
|School district||Cleveland Metropolitan School District|
|Color(s)||Maroon and Gold |
|Athletics conference||Senate League|
|Athletic Director||Daniel Hubbard|
John Adams High School opened at East 116th Street and Corlett Avenue in 1923. It was closed in 1995, along with West Technical, and Aviation High Schools to help cut the city's budget. The school was rebuilt and opened in 2006.
Clubs and activities
The school followed the district dress code requiring polo shirts and dress trousers, skirts, and/or shorts. In 2014 it adopted a new rule requiring polo shirts with monogrammed school logos.
The mascot for the school is the Rebel. The primary rivals for the school's sports teams are the John F. Kennedy Eagles, who are located nearby, and the James Ford Rhodes Rams on the west side.
Ohio High School Athletic Association State Championships
- Boys Track and Field — 1953, 1956, 1976, 1982
- Girls Track and Field — 1978, 1979, 1994
- Boys Cross Country — 1954, 1959, 1963
- Rashaun Allen, NFL player
- Albert Ayler (1936–1970), jazz saxophonist and composer
- Dick Feagler (1938-), columnist
- Frederick Fennell (1914–2004), conductor and music educator
- Tom Jackson (1951–), retired NFL linebacker (Denver Broncos), ESPN NFL analyst
- Don King (1931–), boxing promoter
- Rimp Lanier, Former MLB player (Pittsburgh Pirates)
- Al Lerner (composer) (b. 1919), pianist, composer, and musical director
- Madeline Manning (1948-), Track and Field Olympic gold medalist
- Nick Mileti (1931-), former owner, Cleveland Cavaliers and Cleveland Indians. In fact, he chose the Cavs' colors of wine and gold based on John Adams' colors.
- Anthony Morgan, Former NFL player for the Chicago Bears (1991–1993) and the Green Bay Packers (1993–1996).
- Frank Pokorny, member of the Ohio House of Representatives (1957-1960; 1963-1968) and Cuyahoga County Commissioner (1968-1976)
- Jack Reynolds (1937-2008) radio and television broadcaster on numerous Cleveland stations, professional wrestling announcer (including for the WWF)
- Phillip Shriver (1922–2011), served as president of Miami University from 1965–1981
- Chuck Smith, Former MLB player (Florida Marlins)
- Robert Ward (1917–2013), composer
- OHSAA. "Ohio High School Athletic Association member directory". Archived from the original on 2010-11-05. Retrieved 2010-02-17.
- "Executive Board Pre-File Application". OhioJCL.org - June 2007. Internet Archive: Wayback Machine. 2010. Archived from the original on June 17, 2007. Retrieved August 16, 2010.
- "OJCL Constitution". OhioJCL.org - July 2002. Internet Archive: Wayback Machine. 2010. Archived from the original on July 21, 2002. Retrieved August 16, 2010.
... by paying both OJCL annual chapter dues and any annual chapter membership dues required by NJCL.
- "John Adams principal tightens dress code" (Archive). Cleveland Metropolitan School District. July 18, 2014. Retrieved on December 31, 2015.
- OHSAA. "Ohio High School Athletic Association Web site". Retrieved 2006-12-31.
- "Cavs history". Cavs official website.
- "Pokorny Thrives on Political Diet". The Plain Dealer. January 21, 1968. p. AA2.
- Baranick, Alana (October 17, 2008). "Jack Reynolds, hosted wrestling show with Jesse Ventura". The Plain Dealer. Cleveland. Retrieved June 21, 2012.