|Wyndham John Albery|
5 April 1936|
|Died||3 December 2013(aged 77)|
|Institutions||University College, Oxford, Imperial College London|
|Alma mater||Balliol College, Oxford|
|Doctoral advisor||Ronnie Bell|
Albery was appointed to a Weir Junior Research Fellowship in October 1962 and then to a Fellowship and Praelectorship in Chemistry at University College, Oxford in October 1963, where he was briefly a colleague of E. J. Bowen. He served at University as Junior Dean and Dean, and was Tutor for Admissions from 1968–75. This period culminated in University College coming top of the Norrington Table in 1975.
Coming from the theatrical Albery family, he was an enthusiastic senior member of the University College Players, organizer of the Univ Revue, held in the college Hall, and script-writer for Experimental Theatre Club revues staged by the Etceteras. Early in his career, in 1962, he wrote for ground-breaking BBC satirical comedy television show That Was The Week That Was.
In 1989, he returned to Oxford to be Master of University College. He hosted the visit of President Bill Clinton (a former student of University College) and his wife Hillary Clinton to the college in June 1994.
Albery subsequently became Barrer Fellow in Chemistry at Imperial College. He was a Fellow of the Royal Society, the first Master of University College to be so. He was an Honorary Fellow of University College, Oxford, and a celebration of his 75th birthday was held in Oxford in 2011.
- Ring-Disc Electrodes, with M. L. Hitchman, Oxford University Press, 1971 (ISBN 0-19-855349-8).
- Electrode Kinetics, Oxford University Press, 1975 (ISBN 0-19-855433-8).
- "Professor John Albery – obituary". The Daily Telegraph. UK. 13 December 2013.
- "Kinetics in Solution". 2007. Archived from the original on March 14, 2007. Retrieved May 23, 2011.
- "Tribute to former Master Professor Wyndham John Albery". University College, Oxford. 3 December 2013. Retrieved 13 December 2013.
- "In Memoriam: Professor John Albery". The Martlet. University College, Oxford. Summer 2014. p. 28.
- John Albery at the Internet Movie Database
- "John Albery". BBC Guide to Comedy. 2006. Archived from the original on February 17, 2006. Retrieved May 23, 2011.
- Guy, Hannah (2007). The history of Imperial College London, 1907–2007. Imperial College Press. p. 548.
- "The New Master". University College Record. University College, Oxford. October 1989. pp. 14–15.
- Symonds, Ann Spokes (1998). The Changing Faces of North Oxford: Book Two. Witney: Robert Boyd Publications. p. 137. ISBN 1-899536-33-7.
- "Varia". University College Record. University College, Oxford. October 2011. pp. 134–136.
- A Service of Thanksgiving for the life of John Albery FRS, University Church of St Mary the Virgin: University College, Oxford, 5 April 2014
- List of publications from Microsoft Academic Search
- Portrait of John Albery at University College, Oxford
|Master of University College, Oxford