John Alcock (organist)
He was a pupil of John Stanley at St. Paul's Cathedral, and he earned a doctorate in music at the University of Oxford in 1766. Much detail of his life is included in his semi-autobiographical novel, The Life Of Miss Fanny Brown published under the pseudonym John Piper in 1771. He also held a position as private organist to the Earl of Donegall.
- Organist of St Andrew's Church, Plymouth 1737–1741
- Organist of St Laurence's Church, Reading 1741–1750
- Organist of Lichfield Cathedral 1750–1761
- Organist of Sutton Coldfield Parish Church 1761–1786
- Organist of St. Editha's Church, Tamworth 1766–1790
|Wikisource has the text of the 1885–1900 Dictionary of National Biography's article about John Alcock.|