John Allen (priest)
|The Very Reverend
|Provost of Wakefield|
|Diocese||Diocese of Wakefield|
|Birth name||John Edward Allen|
9 June 1932|
Rusholme, Lancashire, UK
|Died||9 September 2015(aged 83)|
|Alma mater||University College, Oxford
Fitzwilliam College, Cambridge
Allen was born on 9 June 1932 in Rusholme, Lancashire (now in Greater Manchester). His father was Ronald Edward Taylor Allen, a canon and sometime Vicar of Edgbaston. He was educated at Rugby School, then an all-boys public school. He studied at University College, Oxford, and graduated with a Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree in 1956.
Having become unsatisfied with his business career, Allen felt the call to ordination. In 1966, he entered Westcott House, Cambridge, an Anglican theological college. For two years he trained at Westcott and additionally studied theology at Fitzwilliam College, Cambridge. By 1968, he had completed his training and graduated from the University of Cambridge with a Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree.
Allen was ordained in the Church of England as a deacon in 1968 and as a priest in 1969. He was initially a Curate at Deal and then Vicar of St Paul’s, Clifton. He was then the incumbent at Chippenham until 1982 when he became Provost of Wakefield, a post he held until 1997.
He died on 9 September 2015 at the age of 83.
- pharmweb Archived 2011-07-22 at the Wayback Machine.
- "The Very Reverend John Allen - obituary". The Daily Telegraph. 25 September 2015. Retrieved 26 September 2015.
- Who's Who 2008: London, A & C Black, 2008 ISBN 978-0-7136-8555-8
- "John Edward Allen". Crockford's Clerical Directory (online ed.). Church House Publishing. Retrieved 30 November 2015. (subscription required)
- "Provost of Wakefield Cathedral who transformed his community with his open-minded vision" Daily Telegraph Obituary p35 Issue no 49,871 dated Saturday 26 September 2015
- O’Connor, Daniel (30 October 2015). "The Very Revd John E. Allen". The Church Times. Retrieved 22 November 2015.
|Church of England titles|
|Provost of Wakefield
1982 – 1997