John Maguire (archbishop of Glasgow)
|The Most Reverend
John Aloysius Maguire
|Archbishop of Glasgow|
|Church||Roman Catholic Church|
|Appointed||4 August 1902|
|Term ended||14 October 1920|
|Predecessor||Charles Petre Eyre|
|Ordination||27 March 1875|
|Consecration||11 June 1894
by Angus MacDonald
|Born||8 September 1851
|Died||14 October 1920 (aged 69)
Crosshill House, Glasgow
|Buried||Old Dalbeth cemetery, Braidfauld|
Early life and education
Born in Glasgow on 8 September 1851, he was educated successively at St Mungo's Academy and St Aloysius' College, Glasgow, at Stonyhurst College, Glasgow University, and the Collegio di Propaganda Fide, Rome.
Following his ordination to the priesthood on 27 March 1875, he became an assistant priest in St. Andrew's Pro-Cathedral, Glasgow, and Diocesan Secretary four years later. In 1883, he was made incumbent at Partick, he became a Canon in 1884, Vicar-General in 1885, and Provost of the Chapter in 1893.
He was appointed an Auxiliary Bishop of Glasgow and Titular Bishop of Trocmades by Pope Leo XIII on 6 April 1894. His consecration to the Episcopate on 11 June 1894; the principal consecrator was Archbishop Angus MacDonald of Saint Andrews and Edinburgh, with Bishop James August Smith of Dunkeld and Bishop William Turner of Galloway, serving as co-consecrators.
His power of swaying a large multitude by oratory was demonstrated at the 19th International Eucharistic Congress, held in London in 1908, when he quieted the thousands of assembled Roman Catholics who were infuriated at the government's interference with the proposed procession of the Blessed Sacrament in the streets of Westminster.
- "Archbishop John Aloysius Maguire". Catholic-Hierarchy.org. David M. Cheney. Retrieved 5 October 2010.[self-published source]
- "Death of the Archbishop of Glasgow". The Tablet. London. 23 October 1920. pp. 22–23. Retrieved 9 March 2015.
- "Archbishop Maguire". glasgowwestaddress.co.uk. 1909 Glasgow Men. Retrieved 8 March 2015.
- "Archbishop Charles Petre Eyre". Catholic-Hierarchy.org. David M. Cheney. Retrieved 5 October 2010.[self-published source]
- "John Aloysius Maguire". New Catholic Dictionary. Saints.SQPN.com. Retrieved 5 October 2010.
|Catholic Church titles|
Charles Petre Eyre
|Archbishop of Glasgow
4 August 1902 – 14 October 1920