John Anderson (New Zealand businessman)
Sir John Anthony Anderson KBE (born 2 August 1945) was the Chief Executive and Director of ANZ Bank New Zealand (then ANZ National Bank Ltd) and after retiring at the end of 2005, become the chair of Television New Zealand in April 2006. He was awarded the New Zealand 1990 Commemoration Medal, and was appointed a Knight Commander of the Order of the British Empire for services to business management, banking and the community in the 1995 New Year Honours.
He began his career in accounting, followed by sharebroking in Melbourne. He returned to New Zealand in 1972 to help form the merchant bank South Pacific Merchant Finance (Southpac). He became Chief Executive of Southpac in 1979 and within a year of Southpac merging with the National Bank of New Zealand in 1988, he became Chief Executive of the National Bank. Anderson oversaw the National Bank's merger with Rural Bank in 1992 and Countrywide Bank in 1998. In 2004 Lloyds TSB sold The National Bank to the ANZ bank. After ANZ's acquisition of the National Bank he was responsible for ANZ's New Zealand businesses until his retirement at the end of 2005.
Anderson was on a number of business boards in the 1980s, including New Zealand Steel and Petrocorp, where he was Chairman.
He was on the international board of the World Wide Fund for Nature for four years as well as being the New Zealand Chairman. He was also a member of the Prime Minister's Enterprise Council from 1990 to 1999.
In 2005 he was the inaugural winner of the Blake Medal for demonstrated leadership in many fields – business, sport, environment and the community.
In December 2007 he was appointed by the New Zealand government to be the Chairman of the Capital and Coast District Health Board, responsible for medical services in the Wellington and Kapiti Coast, after a series of significant financial and operational problems. In February 2008 he was appointed commissioner of the Hawkes Bay District Health Board after Health Minister, David Cunliffe, sacked the DHB board due to the minister's dissatisfaction with their running of the DHB.
In 2010 Anderson joined the board of PGG Wrightson and became chairman.
- "Sir John Anderson new TVNZ chair". oneNews. 21 December 2005. Retrieved 9 August 2014.
- "No. 53894". The London Gazette (Supplement). 31 December 1994. p. 33.
- "Sir John bowing out of banking". oneNews. 1 November 2005. Retrieved 9 August 2014.
- "The 2005 Blake Medalist: Sir John Anderson". Sir Peter Blake Trust. Archived from the original on 9 August 2014. Retrieved 9 August 2014.
- Welham, Keri (15 December 2007). "Seeking a return to good health". Dominion Post. p. B5.
- Oliver, Paula (27 February 2008). "Health Minister accused of abusing power over sacking". New Zealand Herald. Retrieved 9 August 2014.
- "Sir John Anderson to become chairman of PGG Wrightson". sharechat.co.nz. 26 February 2010. Retrieved 4 March 2011.
| Leadership Award