John Andrew Davis
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Prior to academia Davis led global marketing organizations for Nike, Informix, and Transamerica (where he received the company’s highest honor—The Presidential Award). Davis also started two companies with private investor groups, including in his non-academic role as Chairman of Brand New View.
Davis has taught business leaders from IBM, Dow Chemical, Allianz, TIAA-CREF, OCBC Bank, SingTel, SK Telecom, Commerzbank, Schneider Electric, Mitsui Sumitomo Insurance Group, SingHealth, Boeing, VSP, Intercontinental Hotels, Intertek, Synovate, Harris Corporation, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology[disambiguation needed], EDB, SMRT Corporation, NOL and Swiss Re.
Davis has been Professor of Marketing and Department Chair at Emerson College in Boston. He was also Professor of Marketing Practice at the Lee Kong Chian School of Business at Singapore Management University, where he received the Most Inspiring Teacher Award in 2007 and the Dean’s Teaching Honors every year from 2004-2009. Davis was also Director for SMU’s Center for Marketing Excellence.
Davis has taught at the University of Washington Michael G. Foster School of Business, the UC Davis Graduate School of Management, the International Olympic Academy (and the University of Peloponnese), and in partner programs with faculty from University of Chicago, INSEAD, Goizueta Business School at Emory University, Munich Business School, and the European Business School.
In 2010-2012, Davis was a head marketing instructor at the Lundquist College of Business at the University of Oregon. He taught undergraduate and postgraduate courses before taking the position of Dean at SP Jain Center of Management.
Davis is the author of Competitive Success: How Branding Adds Value (John Wiley & Sons 2010), The Olympic Games Effect-How Sports Marketing Builds Strong Brands (2008 John Wiley & Sons), Magic Numbers for Sales Management (2007 John Wiley & Sons), Measuring Marketing: 103 Key Metrics Every Marketer Needs (2006 John Wiley & Sons), and Magic Numbers for Consumer Marketing (2005 John Wiley & Sons) and Sports Marketing: Creating Long Term Value (Edward Elgar Publishing, 2013).
Davis is also a contributing author to Fast Track to Success-Marketing (FT Prentice Hall 2009).
Davis has been interviewed by MSNBC, Bloomberg News, BBC, CNBC, ChannelNewsAsia, Bravo!, Prime Time Morning, Asia Television-Hong Kong, and HCMC HTV7-Vietnam, National Public Radio (NPR-US) and 938LIVE. He has broadcast a 24 segment show about marketing. Davis has appeared in print interviews with MSNBC, The Business Times, the Straits Times, PEAK Magazine, The Business Journal, Business to Business Magazine, The Edge, Singapore Marketer, Marketing Magazine, and TodayNews. He co-hosts the podcast series, ‘LeadershipMatters’.
Davis' speaking engagements have taken him to Egypt, Myanmar, Hong Kong, Japan and the U.S. He has been a featured speaker at the World Knowledge Forum, Yonsei National Branding Conference, YPOs, Entrepreneurs Organization: EO, International Conference on Brand Strategies and Management (Hong Kong), Global Brand Forum, Asia Business Leaders Forum, iX2005, Managing and Building Brands, Global Entrepolis, The Synovate Asia Pacific Business Conference, American Marketing Association, University of Washington Business School Speakers Series, The Graduates Club/The MBA Company, and Business Perspectives in the United States.
- "Message from Prof John Davis, Dean S P Jain Centre of Management - Global MBA Program". Spjain.org. Archived from the original on 2010-07-04. Retrieved 2010-07-12.
- Brand New View.http://www.brandnewview.com, Retrieved 2010-6-20
- ChannelNewsAsia (April 2009).President Obama's First 100 Days, http://media.smu.edu.sg/occ/cna_090430.asx, Retrieved 2010-3-18
- ChannelNewsAsia (March 2009).Tsingtao Beer and Olympic Sponsorships, http://media.smu.edu.sg/occ/cna_090325.asx, Retrieved 2009-11-23
- ChannelNewsAsia (January 2009).Sports Sponsorships During a Recession, http://media.smu.edu.sg/occ/ChU_090227.asx, Retrieved 2009-10-03
- ChannelNewsAsia (January 2009).Tourism in Asia, http://media.smu.edu.sg/occ/cna_090102.asx, Retrieved 2010-11-07
- ChannelNewsAsia (September 2008).Singapore F1, http://media.smu.edu.sg/occ/channelU_080926.asx, Retrieved 2010-01-27
- Bloomberg (September 2008).Singapore F1, http://media.smu.edu.sg/occ/Bloomberg_080922.asx, Retrieved 2010-01-27
- ChannelNewsAsia (September 2008).Benefits from Beijing 2008 Olympics, http://media.smu.edu.sg/occ/cna_080828b.asx, Retrieved 2009-10-23
- Leong Hung Yee (August 2008). A Global Sports Brand Show, The Star Online, http://www.brandnewview.com/brandnewview/TOGE_reviews.html, Retrieved 2008-09-15
- ChannelNewsAsia (August 2008).2008 US Democratic Convention, http://media.smu.edu.sg/occ/cna_080828.asx, Retrieved 2009-07-10
- Knowledge@Wharton and Knowledge@SMU (July 2008).John Davis on Sports Sponsorship and Branding, http://knowledge.smu.edu.sg/article.cfm?articleid=1147, Retrieved 2010-2-02
- ChannelNewsAsia (May 2008).Politics and the Olympic Games, http://media.smu.edu.sg/occ/cna_080814.asx, Retrieved 2009-5-21
- BBCNews (May 2008).Olympic Sponsorships, http://media.smu.edu.sg/occ/bbc_080813.asx, Retrieved 2010-03-29
- MSNBC (May 2008).Michael Phelps' Olympic Sponsorship Success, http://www.google.com/reader/view/, Retrieved 2008-11-15
- 93.8Live! (April 2008).The Olympic Games Effect, http://media.smu.edu.sg/occ/93.8fm_080804.asx, Retrieved 2008-09-18
- ChannelNewsAsia (February 2008).HSBC Forum-Growth of Singapore Brands, http://media.smu.edu.sg/occ/cna_080507_clip2.asx, Retrieved 2009-02-17
- ChannelNewsAsia (February 2008).Tibet Protests and Olympic Torch Relay, http://media.smu.edu.sg/occ/cna_080411.asx, Retrieved 2008-07-22
- ChannelNewsAsia (February 2008).Asian Brands and Global Growth, http://media.smu.edu.sg/occ/cna_clip1_080225.asx, Retrieved 2008-11-09
- ChannelNewsAsia (January 2008).Asian Business Sports Sponsorships, http://media.smu.edu.sg/occ/cna_080311_interview.asx, Retrieved 2008-12-12
- ChannelNewsAsia (September 2006).President Bush's Speech to APEC, http://media.smu.edu.sg/occ/cna_061117.asx, Retrieved 2008-03-21
- China Daily (2006).Measuring Marketing Book Review, http://www.brandnewview.com/brandnewview/Books_MM.html, Retrieved 2006-12-19
- Business Today (2006).Measuring Marketing Book Review, http://www.brandnewview.com/brandnewview/Books_MM.html, Retrieved 2006-12-19
- 93.8Live! (May 2006).Measuring Marketing, http://media.smu.edu.sg/occ/93.8fm_061102.asx, Retrieved 2007-04-24
- DP Brand Conference (July 2005).Brand Success, http://media.smu.edu.sg/oee/040723/panelists_discussion.asx, Retrieved 2006-08-13
- Media Magazine (2005).Magic Numbers for Consumer Marketing Book Review, http://www.brandnewview.com/brandnewview/Books_CM.html, Retrieved 2007-02-11
- Davis, John A. (2010). Competitive Success: How Branding Adds Value. John Wiley & Sons.
- Davis, John A. (2008). The Olympic Games Effect: How Sports Marketing Builds Strong Brands. John Wiley & Sons.
- Davis, John (2007). Magic Numbers for Sales Management. John Wiley & Sons.
- Davis, John (2006). Measuring Marketing: 103 Metrics Every Marketer Needs. John Wiley & Sons.
- Davis, John (2005). Magic Numbers for Consumer Marketing. John Wiley & Sons.