December 10, 1945
Chicago, Illinois, U.S.
|Occupation||Evangelist, Television personality, author, apologist theologian|
|Employer||Ankerberg Theological Research Institute (President)|
|Known for||Founder, President of Ankerberg Theological Research Institute, Chicago, IL
Host, The John Ankerberg Show TV program (syndicated)
|Children||1 daughter, Michelle|
John Ankerberg (born December 10, 1945) is an American Christian evangelist and TV presenter. He is an ordained Baptist minister and has written 91 books focusing on religious subjects. He is the producer and host of the nationally televised weekly half-hour program The John Ankerberg Show. Ankerberg earned an undergraduate degree from the University of Illinois at Chicago, an M.A. in Church History and Philosophy of Christian Thought, and a Master of Divinity from Trinity Evangelical Divinity School. He earned a Doctor of Ministry from Luther Rice Seminary in Lithonia, Georgia.
Bakker and PTL scandal
Evangelicals and Catholics Together
In 1995 Ankerberg and other evangelical leaders expressed opposition to the proposed Evangelicals and Catholics Together ecumenical document designed to foster a sense of unity and cooperation between Protestant evangelicals and Catholics. This opposition resulted in a meeting which drafted an amendment clarifying the beliefs of the evangelical signers, which stated that "cooperation with evangelically committed Roman Catholics, does not imply acceptance of Roman Catholic doctrinal distinctives or endorsement of the Roman Catholic Church system." Ankerberg stated that the meeting "heals the breach", but "failed to mollify the concerns of many evangelicals."
- "The Television Program Producer of the Year Award" – National Religious Broadcasters, 1992
- Ankerberg, John; Weldon, John; Burroughs, Dillon. The Facts on Halloween, Harvest House Publishers, 2008. ISBN 978-0-7369-2219-7
- Ankerberg, John; Weldon, John. Encyclopedia of new age beliefs, Harvest House Publishers, 1996. ISBN 978-1-56507-160-5
- Ankerberg, John; Weldon, John. Fast Facts on Islam, Harvest House Publishers, 2001. ISBN 978-0-7369-1011-8
- Ankerberg, John; Weldon, John. Fast Facts on Mormonism Harvest House Publishers, 2003. ISBN 978-0-7369-1079-8
- Ankerberg, John; Weldon, John; Burroughs, Dillon. The Facts on Jehovah's Witnesses, Harvest House Publishers, 2008. ISBN 978-0-7369-2215-9
- Ankerberg, John; Weldon, John. Cult Watch, Harvest House Publishers, 1991. ISBN 978-0890818510
- "Biography of Dr. John F. Ankerberg". johnankerberg.org. Archived from the original on 2008-05-11. Retrieved 2009-06-14.
- Religious Leaders of America: A Biographical Guide to Founders and Leaders of Religious Bodies, Churches,and Spiritual Groups in North America (Religious Leaders of America). Gale Group. 1999. p. 20. ISBN 0-8103-8878-2.
- "The John Ankerberg Show schedule". johnankerberg.org. Retrieved 2009-06-14.
- jashow.org, About Dr. John Ankerberg
- "Church Hears Bakker Accusations". Chicago Tribune. April 26, 1987. Retrieved 2014-06-24.
- "Falwell Says He May Quit PTL Club". NY Times (AP). April 27, 1987. Retrieved 2009-06-14.
- Lauter, David (1987-04-27). "Early Return Would 'Doom Ministry,' Falwell Warns Bakker". Articles.latimes.com. Retrieved 2011-05-28.
- "Document on Interfaith Cooperation Causes Rift". Articles.latimes.com. 1995-03-18. Retrieved 2011-05-28.
- http://www.jashow.com Ankerberg Theological Research Institute and John Ankerberg Show official website
- http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/life/entertainment/story/2015/apr/11/technological-gospelankerberg-spreads-word-th/297882/ Technological Gospel: Ankerberg spreads the Word through TV, smartphones and apps