John Archer (magician)
Archer was a police officer in Cleveland Constabulary in the north-east of England for ten years, until 1996 when he was medically retired, after which he began entertaining. In 1998, Archer was awarded the Ken Dodd President's Trophy for Best New Magical Comedy Entertainer. In February 2000, he took part in the British Magical Championships, and was awarded British Magical Champion of Comedy. In November 2002 at The Magic Circle Awards Banquet he was promoted to Member of the Inner Magic Circle – with gold star, and was also awarded The Carlton Comedy Award for outstanding use of comedy and magic. In 2003, he was awarded the Senator Crandall Award for Comedy at Abbot’s convention in the United States, and won The Magic Circle's Stage Magician of the Year competition in October 2008.
John Archer regularly supports comedian Tim Vine on tour and also writes with him on various TV projects.
John Archer appeared on the ITV show 'Fool Us' on 7 January 2011, hosted by Jonathan Ross. 'Fool Us' was a programme where magicians from Great Britain and around the world attempted to trick the magic greats Penn & Teller; if they did, the prize was to open the Penn and Teller show at the Rio Casino in Las Vegas. Archer was the first magician on the programme to fool Penn & Teller.
In 2012 John appeared in a 13-part series for CBBC called Help My Supply Teacher Is Magic.
A second series 'Help My Supply Teacher is Still Magic' aired in 2013 and won a BAFTA in the Entertainment Category at The Children's BAFTA's in November 2013
- Help! My School Trip is Magic Magic. - CBBC
- Help My Supply Teacher Is Still Magic - (BAFTA) CBBC
- Help My Supply Teacher Is Magic - CBBC
- Penn & Teller - Fool Us - ITV1
- Undercover Magic - Sky1
- Rose d'Or TV Awards 2005 – Scriptwriter.
- The Impressionable Jon Culshaw ITV1 (Writing and appearing)
- Claverdeek (Short film) - BBC2 (Appearing)
- Give Us a Clue - BBC1 (Appearing)
- The Sketch Show ITV1 (BAFTA) Series 1 and 2 - (Writer)
- Alter Ego – ITV1 (Writing and appearing with Jon Cullshaw)
- Fluke - Ch4 (Writing and appearing)
- It's a Knockout Series 2 - Ch5 (Writer)
- It's a Knockout Christmas Show ‘99’ Ch5
- The Tim Vine Christmas Present – Ch5 (writing and appearing.)
- Whittle - Ch5 (Writer)
- Look North - BBC1
- Not The Jack Docherty Show - Ch5 (Writing and appearing)
- Fort Boyard – Challenge TV (Writer)
- Fort Boyard - All around the World. – Challenge TV (Writer.)
- Stand up Live – LiveTV
- Dutch Milk Advertisement - Dutch TV
- Fool Us Series 1, Episode 1 - ITV1
John is married to Julie. They have three children
- Javin, Val (26 June 2009). "Magic: Magical way to celebrate your anniversary, 60 years of magic". Huddersfield Daily Examiner. Retrieved 13 May 2010.
- "Huddersfield Magic Circle to celebrate 60th anniversary". Huddersfield Daily Examiner. 10 June 2009.
- Mystery MagazineExclusive Interview with John Archer by John Helvin and Walt Lees in Mystery Magazine (April 2011).
- Alexandra Wingate "MagicFest 2011", TVBomb 18/05/11