John Arthur Pilcher
Sir John Arthur Pilcher GCMG (16 May 1912 – 10 February 1990) was a British diplomat, capping a long career with a posting as Her Majesty's ambassador to Austria (1965-1967) and as ambassador to Japan (1967–1972).
Although Sir John was appropriately diplomatic in his professional duties, he was capable of extraordinary frankness in dispatches sent to Whitehall. While there is no doubt that Sir John was sincere, his seeming inability to recognize an inherent double standard in his views is revealing about the attitude that many British and European scholars took towards non-Europeans in the early postwar decades. For instance, the substance of a declassified 1972 letter to the Foreign Secretary Sir Alec Douglas-Home was published in the Japan Times in 2003. In that dispatch, Sir John expressed views which are no less controversial today than when he wrote them.
- List of Old Salopians
- List of Ambassadors from the United Kingdom to Austria
- List of Ambassadors from the United Kingdom to Japan
- Trilateral Commission
- London Gazette: Issue No. 34217, p. 27 (8 November 1935).
- London Gazette: Issue No. 34960, p. 3 (4 October 1940).
- London Gazette: Issue No. 43654, p. 3 (18 May 1965).
- London Gazette: Issue No. 43854, p. 4 (31 December 1965).
- London Gazette: Issue No. 44478, p. 1 (18 December 1967).
- British embassy in Japan: Ambassadors to Japan Archived 3 April 2009 at the Wayback Machine
- Cortazzi, Hugh. (2004). British Envoys in Japan,1859-1972, publisher's blurb. Archived 7 December 2004 at the Wayback Machine
- Curtin, J. Sean. "Former British Ambassador Thought Japanese Lacked a Moral Code," Japanese Institute of Global Communications. 9 January 2003.
- "British envoy painted Japanese as narrow-minded egoists," Japan Times. 1 January 2003; "Japanese lack moral code: British ambassador," Japan Policy & Politics. 6 January 2003.
- Peerage: Sir John Arthur Pilcher, ID #200163
- Cortazzi, Hugh. (2004). British Envoys in Japan,1859-1972. London: Global Oriental.
- ____________. (2001). Japan Experiences: Fifty Years, One Hundred Views : Post-war Japan Through British Eyes 1945-2000. London: Routledge. ISBN 978-1-903350-04-1
- Daniels, Gordon. Summary of microfilmed records: Part 7: Complete Files for 1969-1971 (PRO Class FCO 21/555-593 et seq.). Foreign Office Files for Japan and the Far East; Series Two: British Foreign Office Files for Post-war Japan, 1952-1980 (Public Record Office Classes FO 371 and FCO 21). Marlborough, Wiltshire: Adam Matthew Publications.
- ____________. Summary of Microfilmed records: Part 6: Complete Files for 1966-1968 (PRO Classes FO 371/187076-187142 & FCO 21/238-299). Foreign Office Files for Japan and the Far East; Series Two: British Foreign Office Files for Post-War Japan, 1952-1980 (Public Record Office Classes FO 371 and FCO 21)
- PILCHER, Sir John (Arthur), Who Was Who, A & C Black, 1920–2008; online edn, Oxford University Press, Dec 2007, accessed 24 July 2012