|Born||1961 (age 55–56)
Cardiff, South Wales, UK
|Notable work||Magic: The Gathering|
John Avon (born 1961 in Cardiff, Wales) is a fantasy and science fiction illustrator. Avon has published a book of his work and his work has been used for book covers, CD covers, games, toys and advertising campaigns. He is best known for his artworks for the collectible card game, Magic: The Gathering, of which he has produced over 200 paintings.
Life and work
Avon is one of the most prolific Magic: The Gathering artists, having painted over 280 unique cards, mostly landscapes on 'Basic Land' cards. For the World of Warcraft Trading Card Game, he created the image for the Water Elemental card which is used in Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft.
Avon is married to the illustrator Patricia MacCarthy, with whom he has two sons and lives in Saltdean, near Brighton and Hove, England. He also composes, plays and records music on the guitar and piano.
- Journeys to Somewhere Else. Self-published / John Avon Art, 2015. Hardback ISBN 9780993109706. Deluxe edition of 500 copies ISBN 9780993109713. Illustration and text.
- "John Avon's web site". Retrieved 2011-07-10.
- Magic: The Gathering card search for John Avon
- "The quintessential land man: Behind the Canvas: John Avon", Wizards of the Coast. Accessed 28 June 2014.
- Avon, John. "John Avon – Fantasy Art – Biography", johnavon.com. Retrieved September 22, 2010.
- "The Most Prolific Artist". Retrieved 2013-01-21.
- "Water Elemental", Curse, Inc.. Accessed 28 June 2014.
- "'Journeys to Somewhere Else' by John Avon", Kickstarter. Accessed 28 June 2014.
- "Firle Artists - http://firleartists.co.uk/page19.htm". Retrieved 2011-07-10. External link in