John B. Tabb
Father John Banister Tabb (March 22, 1845 – November 19, 1909) was an American poet, Roman Catholic priest, and professor of English. (Although often misspelled as Bannister, the poet's middle name is actually spelled with only one "n", Banister.)
Born into one of Virginia's oldest and wealthiest families, he became a blockade runner for the Confederacy during the Civil War, and spent eight months in a Union prison camp (where he formed a lifelong friendship with poet Sidney Lanier); he converted to the Roman Catholic Church in 1872, and began to teach Greek and English at Saint Charles College (Ellicott City, Maryland) in 1878.
He was ordained as a priest in 1884, after which he retained his academic position. Plagued by eye problems his whole life, he continued to teach though he lost his sight completely about a year before he died.
Father Tabb (as he was commonly known) was widely published in popular and prestigious magazines of the day, including Harper's Monthly, The Atlantic Monthly, and The Cosmopolitan. His books of poetry include Poems (1894), Lyrics (1897), Later Lyrics (1902), and, posthumously, Later Poems (1910). He also wrote one prose work, Bone Rules (1897), an English grammar; only one of his sermons has survived, a sermon on the Assumption (August 15, 1894).
English poet Alice Meynell made A Selection from the Verses of John B. Tabb (1906). His biographer, Francis A. Litz, a former student of Tabb's, published previously uncollected poems and previously unpublished poems in Father Tabb: A Study of His Life and Works (1923); Litz also edited a collected edition, The Poetry of Father Tabb (1928).
- Duggan, Thomas (1912). Catholic Encyclopedia. New York: Robert Appleton Company. pp. Vol. 14. Retrieved 29 February 2016.
Litz, Francis A. Father Tabb: A Study of His Life and Works. (Baltimore: The Johns Hopkins Press, 1923).
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: John B. Tabb|
- Works by John B. Tabb at Project Gutenberg
- Works by or about John B. Tabb at Internet Archive
- Works by John B. Tabb at LibriVox (public domain audiobooks)
- Poems (1894) (Page Images)
- Lyrics (1897) (Page Images)
- Child Verse (1899) (Page Images)
- Later Lyrics (1902) (Page Images)
- The Rosary in Rhyme (1904) (Page Images)
- Quips and Quiddits (1907) (Page Images)
- A Selection from the Verses of John B. Tabb (1906/1910) (Page Images)
- Later Poems (1910) (Page Images)