John Barnhill (politician)
John Eccles Nixon Barnhill (11 April 1905 – 12 December 1971) was an Ulster Unionist Party member of the Senate in the Parliament of Northern Ireland. Born near Strabane, the son of W. Barnhill, LL.B., Barnhill was educated at Campbell College, Belfast. He was killed by three members of the Official IRA, who later fled across the border, at his home, Brickfield House, near Strabane. He had been a Senator since 1962 and served as Deputy Speaker from 1967 to 1968. His home was also destroyed as a result of an explosion during the incident.
- Acceptable Violence?, Time Magazine, December 27, 1971
- Members of the Senate of Northern Ireland
- Sutton Index of Deaths from the Conflict in Ireland
- Murdered Senators to be Honoured, BBC News Online, 22 November 2001
- Moody, Martin and Byrne, A New History of Ireland: Volume VIII: A Chronology of Irish History to 1976, p. 457
- Demaris, Ovid. Brothers in blood: the international terrorist network. p. 339. ISBN 0-684-15192-8.