John Beasley (musician)
|Birth name||John Rule Beasley|
|Born||October 10, 1960|
Shreveport, Louisiana, U.S.
|Labels||Windham Hill, Resonance, Mack Avenue Records|
|Associated acts||Sergio Mendes, Freddie Hubbard, Miles Davis|
John Rule Beasley (born October 10, 1960) is a jazz pianist, bandleader, and producer of music for film and television.
Beasley was born in Shreveport, Louisiana, and grew up in Texas. His parents and his grandfather taught music. In his teens he played guitar, saxophone, drums, oboe, and piano. During the 1970s, he performed jazz and R&B in Los Angeles. He toured with Sergio Mendes, then worked as a studio musician. For several years he was a member of band led by Freddie Hubbard. In 1992 his album Cauldron was released by Windham Hill.
- Cauldron (Windham Hill, 1992)
- A Change of Heart (Windham Hill, 1993)
- Surfacing (Beasley Music, 2001)
- Letter to Herbie (Resonance, 2008)
- Positootly! (Resonance, 2009)
- John Beasley Presents MONK'estra Vol. 1 (Mack Avenue, 2016)
- John Beasley Presents MONK'estra Vol. 2 (Mack Avenue, 2017)
- MONK'estra Plays John Beasley (Mack Avenue, 2020)
John Beasley has been nominated for 9 Grammy Awards and won 1.
Pianist John Beasley won the 2021 Best Arrangement, Instrumental Or A Cappella Grammy Award on March 14, 2021 for his arrangement of Donna Lee performed by his big band, MONK'estra, from the album MONK'estra Plays John Beasley, on Mack Avenue Records. He was nominated for a total of four Grammy Awards in 2021.
63RD ANNUAL GRAMMY AWARDS (2020) Winer: BEST ARRANGEMENT, INSTRUMENTAL OR A CAPPELLA - Donna Lee
Nominations BEST JAZZ VOCAL ALBUM Holy Room: Live At Alte Oper BEST LARGE JAZZ ENSEMBLE ALBUM MONK'estra Plays John Beasley BEST ARRANGEMENT, INSTRUMENTS AND VOCALS Asas Fechadas
John Beasley Presents Monk'estra volumes 1 and 2 both garnered two Grammy nominations each at the 59th and 60th Grammy Awards in 2017 and 2018.
60TH ANNUAL GRAMMY AWARDS (2017) Nominations BEST LARGE JAZZ ENSEMBLE ALBUM MONK'estra Vol. 2 BEST ARRANGEMENT, INSTRUMENTAL OR A CAPPELLA Ugly Beauty/Pannonica
59TH ANNUAL GRAMMY AWARDS (2016) Nominations BEST LARGE JAZZ ENSEMBLE ALBUM MONK'estra, Vol. 1 BEST ARRANGEMENT, INSTRUMENTAL OR A CAPPELLA Ask Me Now
53rd ANNUAL GRAMMY AWARDS (2010) Positootly earned a 2011 Grammy nomination for BEST JAZZ INSTRUMENTAL RECORDING.
- U.S. Public Records Index, Vol 1, 2010.
- Yanow, Scott. "John Beasley". AllMusic. Retrieved 5 March 2020.
- "John Beasley". 22 April 2021.
- "Grammys 2021: Complete list of winners and nominees".