John Beaumont (died 1701)
Beaumont was born at Burton, Lincolnshire, the son of Sapcote Beaumont, 2nd Viscount Beaumont of Swords and his wife Bridget Monson. He was educated at school at Market Bosworth and was admitted at Christ's College, Cambridge aged 17 on 3 November 1653. He attended King Charles II in exile and was commissioned a captain in Our Holland Regiment, becoming lieutenant-colonel by 1685.
In 1688, Beaumont's regiment was marched to Portsmouth under the Duke of Berwick. Beaumont was one of the officers involved in Portsmouth Captains affair[clarification needed] when they refused to accept Irish recruits into the regiment against King James instructions for all regiments to accept a quota of Irish troopers. On 10 September 1688 the officers were brought before a council of war and stripped of their rank.
Beaumont joined William of Orange at Torbay and on 31 December 1688 and was rewarded with promotion to colonel of the regiment. Beaumont was elected MP for Hastings in August 1689 and held the seat until 1695.
Beaumont went with his regiment to Ireland, where it landed on 13 August 1689 and took part in the Siege of Carrickfergus. It went on to Dundalk and was present at the Battle of the Boyne in July 1690. It also took part in the unsuccessful siege of Limerick and was part of the expedition under John Churchill that captured Cork and Kinsale. The regiment remained stationed in Ireland in 1691, taking part in the second siege of Limerick; it returned to England in February 1692. Beaumont also served in Flanders. He became Governor of Dover Castle. He left parliament and resigned his commission in 1695.
In May 1695 after a quarrel in Parliament, Beaumont fought a duel with Sir William Forrester and disarmed him.
- "Beaumont, John (BMNT653J)". A Cambridge Alumni Database. University of Cambridge.
- Cherry, George L. (1966). The Convention Parliament 1689: A Biographical Study of Its Members. Ardent Media.
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "N" (part 3)
- "Webb's regiment of foot, or the Queen's". www.spanishsuccession.nl. Retrieved 27 January 2021.
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "H" (part 2)
- "Person Page". thepeerage.com. Retrieved 27 January 2021.
|Parliament of England|
| Member of Parliament for Nottingham
With: William Stanhope
| Member of Parliament for Hastings
With: Thomas Mun 1689–90
Peter Gott 1690–95
James FitzJames, 1st Duke of Berwick
| Colonel of Princess Anne of Denmark's Regiment of Foot
John Richmond Webb