John Becker (politician)
|Member of the Ohio House of Representatives
from the 65th district
January 7, 2013
|Preceded by||Joe Uecker|
|Residence||Clermont County, Ohio, U.S.|
|Alma mater||Xavier University|
John Becker is a Republican member of the Ohio House of Representatives for the 65th district. He was elected to his first term in November 2012, defeating Democrat Steve Myers with 68.7% of the vote.
Becker has also served as a Republican State Central Committee and Clermont County Republican Central Committee member and is a tax accountant and utility consultant. He is married with one child.
Becker claims to be the most conservative politician in the Ohio legislature. He introduced bills in 2013 to allow state employees to carry guns on the job in most state buildings and to prohibit law enforcement agencies from destroying firearms confiscated by the police.
In 2003, before his election to the legislature, Becker wrote a letter to the editor of the Cincinnati Enquirer pointing out that as Massachusetts had recently allowed same-sex marriage, the federal government to amend the Constitution to prohibit such unions, or failing that expel Massachusetts from the Union. The previous year, in another such letter, he proposed allowing Alaska to leave the Union so that it would be free to produce more oil.
- "John Becker - House District 65". Ohio House of Representatives. Retrieved 31 January 2013.
- "Officials take oaths of office Friday, Dec. 28". Clermont Sun. Retrieved 31 January 2013.
- "Ohio House of Representatives: November 6, 2012". Ohio Secretary of State. Retrieved 31 January 2013.
- "John Becker Sworn In As State Representative Of The 65th House District". Ohio House of Representatives. Retrieved 31 January 2013.
- "A red county, Clermont County, Ohio, and its far-right state rep: Brent Larkin, by Brent Larking". cleveland.com, 6 July 2013. Retrieved 4 April 2014.
- Lawmaker promises more bills, latest would change what is considered automatic weapons, Statehouse Update, Ohio Township Association, 14 June 2013
- Text of letter at http://www.beckergop.com/Other/Letters/Massachusetts.htm
- text of letter at http://www.beckergop.com/Other/Letters/Alaska.htm
|This article about a member of the Ohio House of Representatives is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|