|John J. Benedetto|
July 16, 1939|
|Residence||College Park, MD|
|Alma mater||University of Toronto|
|Known for||Harmonic analysis, wavelet analysis, frame theory|
|Institutions||University of Maryland|
|Doctoral advisor||Chandler Davis|
John Joseph Benedetto (born July 16, 1939) is a Professor of Mathematics at the University of Maryland, College Park and is a leading researcher in wavelet analysis and Director of the Norbert Wiener Center for Harmonic Analysis and Applications. He was named Distinguished Scholar-Teacher by the University of Maryland in 1999 and has directed 55 Ph.D students. The volume Harmonic Analysis and Applications: In Honor of John Benedetto, edited by Christopher Heil, describes his influence:
John J. Benedetto has had a profound influence not only on the direction of harmonic analysis and its applications, but also on the entire community of people involved in the field.
Benedetto attended Boston College, graduating in 1960 with a B.A. in Mathematics. He received an M.A. from Harvard University in 1962, and a Ph.D. from the University of Toronto in 1964. He was the first student to receive a Ph.D. from then 37-year-old Chandler Davis. His dissertation was The Laplace Transform of Generalized Functions.
Benedetto is founding Editor-in-Chief of the Journal of Fourier Analysis and Applications, founded in 1994 and published by Springer-Birkhäuser. He is also founding and current editor of the Springer-Birkhäuser Applied and Numerical Harmonic Analysis book series. He has edited or authored 18 books and published over 185 research papers. Some of his books are the following.
- (1971) Harmonic Analysis on Totally Disconnected Sets, Springer Lecture Notes 202
- (1975) Spectral Synthesis, Academic Press
- (1976) Real Variable and Integration with Historical Notes, Teubner Publishers
- (1977) A Mathematical Approach to Mathematics Appreciation, UMD
- (1979) Euclidean Harmonic Analysis, editor, Springer Lecture Notes 779
- (1994) Wavelets: Mathematics and Applications, co-edited with M. Frazier, CRC Press
- (1997) Harmonic Analysis and Applications, CRC Press
- (2001) Modern Sampling Theory: Mathematics and Applications, co-edited with P. Ferreira
- (2004) Sampling, Wavelets, and Tomography, co-edited with A. Zayed
- (2009) Integration and Modern Analysis, co-authored with Wojciech Czaja
- Distinguished Scholar-Teacher Award Recipients
- Mathematics Genealogy Project
- "Harmonic Analysis and Applications - In Honor of John J. | Christopher Heil | Springer". www.springer.com. Retrieved 2016-05-26.
- Fulbright-Hays Scholars
- SPIE Digital Library
- List of Fellows of the American Mathematical Society
- 2016 Class of SIAM Fellows Announced
- Mathematics Genealogy Project
- Garrett Birkhoff, Wikipedia
- Ross, Kenneth A. (September 1977). "Review of Spectral synthesis by John J. Benedetto". Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. (N.S.). 83 (5): 960–964. doi:10.1090/S0002-9904-1977-14336-X.
- Speaker Bio from NIST
- Norbert Wiener Center for Harmonic Analysis and Applications
- Mathematics genealogy project
- Journal of Fourier Analysis and Applications
- Applied and Numerical Harmonic Analysis
- Harmonic Analysis and Applications, A volume in honor of John J. Benedetto (C. Heil, editor) Birkhäuser, Boston, 2006.
- ICA Wavelet Pioneers
- Mathematical Genealogy