Berman reporting during the 2017 Presidential Inaugural Parade
|Education||Philips Academy Andover, Massachusetts|
|Alma mater||Harvard University|
|ABC News (1995–2012)|
ABC World News Tonight head writer (1997–1999)
Early Start co-anchor (2012–2017)
CNN Newsroom co-anchor (2017-2018)
New Day co-anchor (2018-present)
John Berman (born March 21, 1972) is an American news anchor, currently the co-anchor of CNN's New Day with Alisyn Camerota on CNN, and a regular relief presenter of Anderson Cooper 360°. Having been a weekday relief co-anchor of CNN's New Day early morning news program for several years, he replaced Chris Cuomo as its regular co-anchor, following Cuomo's departure on May 24, 2018, to present Cuomo Prime Time.
Early life and education
Berman was educated at Philips Academy Andover, an independent co-educational, boarding and day, university-preparatory school in the town of Andover in Massachusetts, which he left in 1990, followed by Harvard University, which he graduated summa cum laude. Berman is of Sephardic Jewish descent.
After leaving Harvard, Berman joined ABC News in a junior office post, rising to become Chief Writer for Peter Jennings, the long-term newscaster of ABC World News Tonight. After the inauguration of President George W. Bush, Berman was assigned to cover the White House. After six months, he asked to be reassigned to New York. On his first week in the job, the towers of the World Trade Center were destroyed in the September 11 attacks. Then, as a general assignment reporter, Berman reported from Iraq, embedded with a Marine infantry battalion at the beginning of the war in al-Nasiriyah as an on-air correspondent. He says, “It was an incredible personal experience, absolutely terrifying, risky and physically grueling. As a reporter, you always want to be covering the biggest stories, despite the risks".
Berman is married to Kerry Voss; they have two sons.
- "John Berman Joins CNN as an Anchor of Morning Show "Early Start"". CNN. Retrieved August 30, 2015.
- Brian Steinberg (14 March 2018). "CNN Will Shake Up Primetime With Chris Cuomo". Variety. Retrieved 25 May 2018.
- Ellefson, Lindsey (24 May 2018). "A tearful good-bye as Chris Cuomo leaves 'New Day' for 'Prime Time'". CNN. Retrieved 25 May 2018.
- Paula Trespas (Winter 2005). "Andover Bulletin (page 18) John Berman 90 - Going where the shooting is" (PDF). Philips Academy Andover. Retrieved 21 October 2015.
- "CNN Roots with John Berman: What’s in a name?", Ancestry.com. June 20, 2014. Retrieved 9 jan 2017
- "John Berman solves family mystery in Amsterdam", CNN. Retrieved 9 jan 2017
- CNN: "Remembering Newtown Victims; Jeb Bush Remarks on Immigrants Cause a Stir; Talking Fathers Day with John Berman" June 14, 2013
|This biographical article related to television in the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|