May 14, 1968 |
Meridian, Mississippi, USA
|Education||Culinary Institute of America|
|Spouse(s)||Jenifer Besh (attorney)|
John Besh (born May 14, 1968, in Meridian, Mississippi) is an American chef, TV personality, philanthropist, restaurateur and author.
Besh was born in Meridian, Mississippi, and raised in south Louisiana.
Besh's restaurants include:
- August – New Orleans’ Central Business District – contemporary French cuisine with an emphasis on local ingredients.
- Besh Steak – Harrah's New Orleans Casino – steakhouse.
- Borgne – Hyatt Regency – coastal Louisiana cuisine, such as shrimp toast rissoles, oyster spaghetti and seafood stuffed flounder.
- Domenica – Roosevelt Hotel – Italian; name means “Sunday” in Italian.
- Pizza Domenica – Uptown New Orleans - A casual spinoff of Domenica featuring counter service and a great beer selection.
- La Provence – Lacombe, Louisiana – French.
- Lüke – New Orleans Central Business District and San Antonio – French, German and Creole cuisine.
- Johnny Sanchez - New Orleans Central Business District- Mexican-Inspired.
- Shaya - New Orleans Garden District - Modern Israeli cuisine.
- Willa Jean - The Paramount at South Market District - bakery and restaurant opening in August 2015.
John Besh Foundation
Mission The John Besh Foundation was established in 2011.
Chefs Move! Scholarship
John Besh co-founded, Chefs Move! with Jessica Bride.
The mission of Chefs Move! is to diversify kitchen leadership by providing minority applicants the opportunity to train up and become leaders in restaurant kitchens and in their communities. The John Besh & Bride Mayor Scholarship provides two fully paid scholarships, one in Culinary Arts and one in Pastry Arts, for minority recipients from New Orleans to attend the International Culinary Center in New York City. The program at ICC is nine months and is followed by a two month internship with the Besh Restaurant Group. Once the internship has finished, Chefs Move! graduates stay and work in New Orleans for at least two years so that their advanced culinary skills benefit the local area.
Micro Loan Program
In 2011, John Besh set up a micro loan program to aid New Orleans farmers in rebuilding their businesses.
The main mission of the micro-loan program is to provide financial support to local farms who want to increase production and take their vegetables, milk, eggs or meat to the local farmers market, grocery store or restaurant kitchens while simultaneously assisting the farmers marketing and business strategy through local MBA programs.
- Chefs A' Field
- Iconoclasts - Episode 17, aired November 22, 2007
- Food Network Challenge - Judge
- Iron Chef America
- The Next Iron Chef - Runner-Up, Season 1
- Top Chef - New Orleans guest, season finale, Season 5
- Top Chef Masters - Contestant
- Treme (TV series) - self, Season 1, Episode 7 "Smoke My Peace Pipe"
- Inedible To Incredible - Host
- Chef John Besh's Family Table - Host
- Hungry Investors - Host
- My Family Table: A Passionate Plea for Home Cooking, 2011, ISBN 978-1-4494-0787-2.
- My New Orleans: The Cookbook: 200 of My Favorite Recipes & Stories from My Hometown, 2009, ISBN 978-0-7407-8413-2.
- Cooking From The Heart: My Favorite Lessons Learned Along the Way, 2013, ISBN 978-1449430566.
- Besh Big Easy: 101 Home-Cooked New Orleans Recipes, September 2015, ISBN 978-1449469177.
- New Orleans Program: Eat, Exercise, and Enjoy Life, with David A., M.D. Newsome, 2006, ISBN 978-1-58980-344-2.
- Introduction to Military High Life. Elegant Food Histories and Recipes by Agostino Von Hassell, 2006, ISBN 978-1-931948-60-9.
- Forward to Trout Point Lodge Cookbook: Creole Cuisine from New Orleans to Nova Scotia, Random House, 2004
Chef Besh has contributed recipes or been featured in the following books:
- The Heirloom Tomato Cookbook by Mimi Luebbermann, Robert Holmes, and Dan Mills, 2006, ISBN 978-0-8118-5355-2.
- The Encyclopedia of Cajun & Creole Cuisine by John D. Folse, 2004, p. 786, ISBN 978-0-9704457-1-1.
- The Pleasure of Your Company: Entertaining in High Style by Kimberly Schlegel, 2004, p. 122, ISBN 978-1-58685-314-3.
- "Besh Restaurant Group". Retrieved 2013-06-18.
- Episode IA0301, Batali vs. Besh, 'Battle Andouille'.