John Biggs (politician)
Biggs speaking following his 2008 election
|Mayor of Tower Hamlets|
12 June 2015
|Preceded by||Lutfur Rahman|
|Member of the London Assembly
for City and East
4 May 2000
|Preceded by||New constituency|
|Political party||Labour Co-operative|
|Alma mater||University of Bristol
Birkbeck, University of London
University of Westminster
John Biggs (born 19 November 1957) is a Labour and Co-operative Party politician and member of the London Assembly representing the City and East constituency, and the current Mayor of Tower Hamlets. He is a former leader of Tower Hamlets London Borough Council. He was first elected to the London Assembly in 2000 and retained his seat in 2004, 2008 and 2012. He also formerly led Tower Hamlets council before directly elected mayors were introduced. Biggs has worked as a financial analyst in the City of London, and as director of a political pressure group. He has previously studied Chemistry, Computer Science and Law.
He was the Labour candidate for directly elected Mayor of Tower Hamlets in 2014, receiving backing from Former London Mayor Ken Livingstone. Livingstone supported incumbent Lutfur Rahman in 2010, but shifted his support to Biggs after an investigation into allegations of "mismanagement and fraud" by the current mayor's team at the council. However, Livingstone also remained supportive of Rahman. Biggs came second in the election to Rahman, but the election was subsequently over-turned by an election court. On 11 June 2015 Biggs was elected mayor of Tower Hamlets after Rahman was found by the court to have broken election law and was stripped of office. Biggs beat independent Rabina Khan, who was endorsed by the disqualified Rahman.
- Biggs, John. "About John Biggs". Greater London Authority. Retrieved 13 April 2014.
- Virtue, Rob (9 April 2014). "Ken Livingstone backs John Biggs in Tower Hamlets mayoral vote". The Wharf. Retrieved 13 April 2014.
John's represented the most diverse constituency in Britain with integrity. He worked with me for the eight years I was Mayor, throughout which I was impressed with his honesty, competence and ability to unite communities. I'm endorsing John Biggs for Mayor of Tower Hamlets.
- Barnett, Adam (9 April 2014). "Ken Livingstone backing Labour’s John Biggs for Tower Hamlets Mayor". East London Advertiser. Retrieved 13 April 2014.
The announcement comes after a team of government-appointed auditors visited the Town Hall on Friday to launch an investigation into allegations of “mismanagement and fraud” at the council.
- "Election results for Tower Hamlets: Tower Hamlets Mayoral Election - Thursday, 22nd May, 2014". Tower Hamlets. Retrieved 24 May 2014.
- "Ex-Tower Hamlets Mayor Lutfur Rahman launches fundraising drive for legal challenge". Retrieved 12 June 2015.
- Biography from the London Assembly
- Biography from the Metropolitan Police Authority
- John Biggs Website
- John Biggs Facebook Page
- John Biggs Twitter Page
|Mayor of Tower Hamlets
12 June 2015
|This article about an English politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|