John Block (filmmaker)
John Simeon Block
Chicago, IL, U.S.
|Residence||Montclair, New Jersey|
John Simeon Block is an American documentary filmmaker.
John Block, a native of Chicago, is a 1972 graduate from Northwestern University. In 1977 he obtained a Master of Fine Arts in filmmaking from the New York University. From 1980 until 1983 he worked for WCBS and then came to NBC in 1983. Initially he was a "Special Segment" producer for the NBC Nightly News with Tom Brokaw. In 1990 he became a producer/writer for Real Life with Jane Pauley and in 1991 a producer/writer for the Brokaw Reports. From 1992 until 2009 Block was a producer/writer for Dateline NBC.
Since 2010, Block has been an independent producer and filmmaker.
Block's subjects cover a wide spectrum of social issues and problems including poverty, homelessness, medical issues, broken families, drugs, crime, and education. He has also made videos for educational and medical support programs.
- The Sixth Week (1978), "Best Documentary", Student Academy Awards of the Academy of Motion Pictures
- 1981-82 Daytime National Emmy for work on children series
- Class Photo (1995), Dateline NBC, a documentary about the fate of 21 of 25 Afro-American youths from Bedford-Stuyvesant twelve years after their fourth-grade class picture, duPont-Columbia Award
- Miracle on the Hudson (2007), at Dateline NBC documentary, Emmy Award
- New Orleans Rising (2010), a CNN documentary
- Different is the New Normal (2011), about a young man with Tourette syndrome, Emmy nomination
- The Stand-In (2011), a personal documentary about elder care and the undocumented with a premiere on PBS.
- Sounding the Alarm: Battling the Autism Epidemic (2014), a documentary about raising a child with autism, presented at the Nantucket Film Festival  and the Tribeca Film Festival
- The One That Got Away (2016), a documentary about a promising at-risk youth who went to jail. Preview at the 2015 Montclair Film Festival and premiere at PBS.
- Breslin and Hamill: Deadline Artists (2019), an HBO documentary about two journalists from New York City, Jimmy Breslin and Pete Hamill
- New York Times: John Block
- John Block (February 13, 2008). "Who gets to propose the next time?". Christian Science Monitor. Retrieved November 20, 2015.
- Guggenheim Fellow: John Block
- Walter Goodman (July 24, 1995). "TELEVISION REVIEW; Those Lucky Few Youngsters Who Escape Tragic Streets". New York Times. Retrieved November 20, 2015.
- Robert Channick (November 8, 2011). "A different kind of documentary.Homegrown portrait of area student with Tourette syndrome on cusp of national exposure". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved November 20, 2015.
- Kathleen O'Brian (June 17, 2013). "Fathers and sons explored in Montclair filmmaker's PBS documentary". NJ Advance Media, NJ.com. Retrieved November 20, 2015.
- Nantucket Film Festival, 2014
- "New Documentary The One That Got Away Examines the Life of an At-Risk-Youth Monday, September 12 at 9:30 p.m. on THIRTEEN". PR Newswire. August 31, 2016. Retrieved November 16, 2016.
- HBO: Breslin and Hamill Deadline Artists, January 2019