John Blundell (economist)
|Died||22 July 2014(aged 61)|
|Austrian School|
|Alma mater||London School of Economics|
John Blundell (9 October 1952 – 22 July 2014) was a British economist who served as Director General and the Ralph Harris Fellow at the Institute of Economic Affairs. Blundell had been involved in the creation and development of numerous free-market think tanks.
He headed the Press, Research and Parliamentary Liaison Office at the Federation of Small Businesses from 1977 to 1982, and was a Lambeth London Borough Councillor from 1978 to 1982. From 1982 to 1993 he was resident in the United States, where he was President of the Institute for Humane Studies (1988–1991), President of the Atlas Economic Research Foundation (1987–1991), President of the Board of the Congressional Schools of Virginia (1988–1992) and President of the Charles G. Koch and Claude R. Lambe Charitable Foundations (1991–1992).
Blundell became Director General of the Institute of Economic Affairs on 1 January 1993.
In addition he served as Co-founder and Chairman of the Institute for Children in Boston, Massachusetts (1993–1997); Founder and Director of the Institute for Justice in Washington D.C. (1991–1993); International Trustee of The Fraser Institute in Vancouver, British Columbia (1988–1993); and Founder Trustee of the Buckeye Institute in Ohio.
Blundell was a Director of Fairbridge and of the International Policy Network, and Chairman of the Institute Development and Relations Committee on the board of Atlas Economic Research Foundation. He was also a board member of the Institute for Humane Studies at George Mason University in Fairfax, Virginia; of the Institute of Economic Studies in Paris, France; and, until 2012,[when?] of the Mont Pelerin Society.
Blundell died on 22 July 2014 at the age of 61.
- Blundell, John; Todd Tennant; Jaymes Reed (7 June 2011), Female Force: Ayn Rand, Bluewater Productions, Incorporated, ISBN 9781450749244
- Peacock, Alan; E. G. West; John Blundell; Otmar Issing; Richard Allen Epstein; Carolyn Fairbairn; David B. Smith; Geoffrey Edward Wood; James Tooley; David Graham (2003), Government Failure, Institute of Economic Affairs, ISBN 9780255365475
- Blundell, John (1 January 2011), Ladies For Liberty: Women Who Made a Difference in American History, Algora Publishing, ISBN 9780875868660
- Blundell, John (September 2008), Margaret Thatcher: A Portrait of the Iron Lady, Algora Publishing, ISBN 9780875866314
- Blundell, John; Colin Robinson (2000), Regulation without the state: the debate continues, Institute of Economic Affairs, ISBN 9780255364836
- Blundell, John (2003), Waging the war of ideas, Institute of Economic Affairs, ISBN 9780255365475
- Institute of Economic Affairs official website.
- Arnett and Associates: Premier Speakers, Talent, and Leadership International: Speaker detail: John Blundell
- "Northwood University hosts world-renowned economist, prolific author". Focusdailynews.com. 16 March 2011. Archived from the original on 8 August 2014. Retrieved 25 July 2014.
- Blundell, J. (2007) Waging the War of Ideas, London: Institute of Economic Affairs.
- Blundell, J. (2007) Waging the War of Ideas, London: Institute of Economic Affairs., p. 9
- "John Blundell, the man who helped to form the IEA, is dead". Conservativehome.com. Retrieved 23 July 2014.