May 2, 1920
June 6, 2011 (aged 91)|
|Cause of death||Pancreatic cancer|
|Spouse(s)||never married |
Boswall's television appearances included Paul Temple (1971), Wessex Tales (1973), Edward the Seventh (1975), The Onedin Line (1976), Love in a Cold Climate (1980), The Hound of the Baskervilles (1982), Sapphire & Steel (1982), No Place Like Home (1986), EastEnders (1990), Selling Hitler (1991), Agatha Christie's Poirot (1991), Drop the Dead Donkey (1993), Lovejoy (1993), Poldark (1996), Doctors (2000), Rome (TV series) (2005) and Terry Pratchett's Hogfather (2006).
Stage appearances included Edward Bond's The Fool at the Royal Court Theatre (1975), Sweeney Todd at the Little Theatre, Bristol (1978–79); Oh, What A Lovely War!, A Midsummer Night’s Dream (1979–80), and Kiss Me, Kate (1980–81) at the Bristol Old Vic; Henry IV, Part I (1984–85) at the Theatre Royal, Bath; Doctor Faustus (1974), Cymbeline (1974) and Camille (1985–86) with the Royal Shakespeare Company; and Moliere's Bourgeois Gentilhomme (1992) at the Royal National Theatre.
His films included Nineteen Eighty-Four as Emmanuel Goldstein (1984), Three Men and a Little Lady (1990), The Wind in the Willows (1996), The Messenger: The Story of Joan of Arc (1996), Hotel Splendide (2000), Ladies in Lavender (2004), Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (2006) and Morris: A Life with Bells On (2009).
- 'Acting elite bid farewell to John at Woodchester funeral'- Stroud News& Journal
- Boswall on the Internet Movie Database
- The Fool - Peter Gill, playwright and theatre director Archived 11 September 2010 at the Wayback Machine.
- Boswall on Theatricalia.com
- Hotel Spendide on the British Film Institute website Archived 14 February 2006 at the Wayback Machine.