|Education||Cathedral Preparatory School, Gannon University
Cleveland State University
|Occupation||political consultant, professor,|
|Home town||Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania|
Brabender has been dubbed 'political guru' to Rick Santorum's political career. Bradender worked five of Santorum's Pennsylvania Congressional races, starting with his first House bid in 1990 and ending with his failed Senate re-election campaign in 2006.
Brabender is the managing partner and Chief Creative Officer of BrabenderCox, a national political consulting and advertising firm. He has served as a campaign and advertising consultant for campaigns in nearly every state, including Tom Coburn, David Vitter, Rick Santorum, Linda Lingle, Tom Corbett, and for the 2008 Giuliani presidential campaign. He has also worked for the Pittsburgh Steelers in their attempt to gain public funding for Heinz Field in the mid-1990s and for the Pittsburgh Penguins.
He was named one of the "Rising Stars of 1996" by Campaigns & Elections, after winning 18 of 21 races in the 1994 election cycle, including the 1994 U.S. Senate election in Pennsylvania where Rick Santorum upset Harris Wofford. He helped "mastermind" Tom Ridge's gubernatorial victories in 1994 and 1998.
He was named to the 2002 and 2003 PoliticsPA "Sy Snyder's Power 50" of influential people in Pennsylvania politics. He was named to the PoliticsPA list of "Republican Dream Team" political consultants. In 2010, he was named one of the "Top 10 Republicans" in Pennsylvania by Politics Magazine, where he was called "the go-to consultant for many [Pennsylvania] statewide candidates."
During the 2016 presidential election, in response to an onslaught of celebrity PSAs favoring the Democratic Party's candidate, the most blatant of which was titled "Save the Day", he produced a "Save the Day Response" video mocking the perceived self-importance of celebrities making political statements.
- "John Brabender". Board of Directors. American Association of Political Consultants. 2009. Archived from the original on 2009-01-04.
- "2009 Regional Conference Speakers". www.theaapc.org. American Association of Political Consultants. 2009.
- "Santorum Sticks With Trusted Strategist". rollcall.com. Retrieved 7 March 2013.
- "Off-Season Adventures;What Political Consultants Do When the Election Season Ends". Campaigns & Elections. February 2005.
- "Introducing the Rising Stars of 1996 . . .". Campaigns & Elections. April 1996.
- Roarty, Alex; Sean Coit (January 2010). "Pennsylvania Influencers" (PDF). Politics Magazine. pp. 44–49. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2010-02-08.
- "Sy Snyder's Power 50". PoliticsPA. The Publius Group. 2002. Archived from the original on 2002-04-21.
- "Power 50". PoliticsPA. The Publius Group. 2003. Archived from the original on 2004-04-17.
- "Republican Dream Team". PoliticsPA. The Publius Group. 2001. Archived from the original on 2002-06-07.
- Harris, Amy Julia (August 2009). "Make 'Em Laugh; Consultants Hunt for Humor in Politics Campaigns & Elections". Campaigns & Elections.