John Bradley (English actor)
Bradley at the 2017 San Diego Comic-Con
John Bradley West
15 September 1988
Early life and education
In 2005, he began attending Loreto College in the Hulme area of Manchester, where he studied Drama and Theatre Studies. He graduated from Loreto in 2007. He received a BA (Hons), Acting at the Manchester School of Theatre, graduating in 2010.
Three months after he graduated from drama school, in his first audition, Bradley won the part of Samwell Tarly in the 2011 HBO fantasy TV series Game of Thrones. His character is a friend of Kit Harington's Jon Snow and provides occasional comic relief, especially in season 1. As the series progressed, Bradley's Tarly developed significantly. One reviewer called him "a wonderful comedic and cowardly yin to Jon's dour yang". George R. R. Martin said that the character that Bradley portrays is the character he would be, if he were on the show.
In 2011, Bradley appeared in the Canal+ drama, Borgia, in the role of Pope Leo X, Giovanni di Lorenzo de' Medici. In 2012, Bradley played the character Tyr Seward in the BBC production of Merlin in series 5, in the episode "A Lesson in Vengeance." The same year, he appeared on the Channel 4 TV series, Shameless, in the role of Wesley, Frank Gallagher's boss, in two episodes of series 10. In 2015, Bradley played the role of Miloš Hrma in the BBC Radio Salford radio play production of Closely Observed Trains.
Bradley has been in a relationship with entertainment journalist Rebecca April May since 2017.
|2012||Anna Karenina||Austrian Prince||Uncredited|
|2016||Grimsby||Fan in Pub|
|2017||American Satan||Ricky Rollins|
|2021||Marry Me||Collin Calloway||Post-production|
|2011–19||Game of Thrones||Samwell Tarly||Main role; 48 episodes |
Nominated – Screen Actors Guild Award for Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series (2011, 2013–15)
|2011||Borgia||Giovanni di Lorenzo de' Medici||5 episodes|
|2012||Merlin||Tyr Seward||Episode: "A Lesson in Vengeance"|
|2016||The Last Dragonslayer||Gordon (adult)||Television film|
|2019||Saturday Night Live||Himself||Episode: "Kit Harington/Sara Bareilles"|
|2019||Robot Chicken||Gordon Ramsay, Eric (voice)||Episode: "Boogie Bardstown in: No Need, I Have Coupons"|
|2020||Urban Myths||Young Les Dawson||Episode: "Les Dawson's Parisienne Adventure"|
|2018||World of Warcraft: Battle for Azeroth||Apprentice Marten Webb|
- Fire and Blood (3 June 2011). "Interview with John Bradley". Winter is Coming.
- Wigler, Josh (17 July 2017). "'Game of Thrones': John Bradley Describes Shooting Premiere's Filthiest Scene". The Hollywood Reporter.
- "Former Pupils: John Bradley West". Saint Paul’s Catholic High School. Archived from the original on 1 October 2017. Retrieved 10 September 2017.
- "Alumni - Loreto College". Loreto College.
- "A "Game of Thrones"". Loreto College. 23 March 2011.
- "From Wythenshawe to Westeros: Met Magazine meets the alumnus behind Game of Thrones character Samwell Tarley". Met Magazine. Manchester, England: Manchester Metropolitan University (3): 14–19. Spring 2017.
- Ashdown, N (2010). "Manchester School of Theatre – Alumni – Graduates 2010 – John Bradley-West". Manchester School of Theatre.
- Handler, Chelsea; Bradley West, John (23 July 2017). "John Bradley Explains Game of Thrones" (Video interview). Chelsea. Netflix.
- Hoare, James (13 March 2012). "Game of Thrones Season 2: Samwell Tarly is "going to change"". SciFiNow.
- Elio (11 March 2011). "Interview with John Bradley". Westeros.org.
- Wigler, Josh (5 July 2016). "'Game of Thrones': John Bradley on the "Success Story" of Samwell Tarly". The Hollywood Reporter.
- Collins, Sean T. (19 July 2017). "Game of Thrones' John Bradley on Sam's Morality, Cleaning Bedpans, and Fake Poop". Vulture.
- Bradley, Bill (15 June 2015). "'Game Of Thrones' Actor John Bradley Calls Shocking Death 'Heartbreaking'". The Huffington Post.
- Singh, Ti (21 June 2011). "Game of Thrones episode 10 review: Fire And Blood: season finale". Den of Geek.
- Hall, Matthew T. (28 July 2014). "If George R.R. Martin were in 'Game of Thrones,' this is how he'd die". The San Diego Union-Tribune.
- "John Bradley Showreel 2016". Shepherd Management. 13 July 2016.
- "Closely Observed Trains" (Radio play). BBC Radio Salford. 29 August 2015.
- Bennion, Chris (4 April 2016). "Game of Thrones' Sam Tarly: 'This is the end for Jon Snow and Sam' - Q&A". The Daily Telegraph.
- Scherzinger, Nicole; Dommet, Joel; Bradley West, John (28 October 2015). "Game of Thrones Star John Bradley Amazing Drumming | Bring The Noise" (Video). Bring the Noise. Sky 1.
- Fox, Killian; Bromwich, Kathryn; Hogan, Michael (31 March 2019). "'It was madness': Game of Thrones stars on how it changed their lives". The Observer. ISSN 0029-7712. Retrieved 31 March 2019.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to John Bradley West.|