John Breslin (born 1973 in Dublin) is an Irish engineer and senior lecturer at the National University of Ireland, Galway. His research publications have focused on the Social Semantic Web, and he co-authored a book on this topic in 2009.
In 2015, Breslin co-founded the Galway City Innovation District to create startup-friendly spaces in downtown Galway. The first space, the PorterShed, is a refurbished former Guinness building that opened to startups in April 2016.
In 2004, while working as a researcher at DERI, Breslin founded the Semantically-Interlinked Online Communities (SIOC) project, a Semantic Web framework for data portability used in web applications such as Yahoo! SearchMonkey, Drupal 7 and the Newsweek website.
In 1998, Breslin set up an Internet forum to discuss video games which evolved into boards.ie, one of Ireland's largest indigenous websites. He serves as a non-executive director with boards.ie Ltd., and was awarded Net Visionary awards by the Irish Internet Association in 2005  and 2006.
- "The Social Semantic Web". springer.com. Retrieved 2009-12-06.
- Hof, Robert (2015-12-31). "Startup Mecca Rises From Abandoned Guinness Storehouse". Forbes. Retrieved 2016-04-24.
- Maher, Rebecca (2016-04-13). "First Companies to Move into PorterShed". Galway Independent. Retrieved 2016-04-24.
- Rao, Leena (2011-12-21). "StreamGlider Takes On Flipboard And Pulse With Sleek Social Interest And News Reader For The iPad". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2016-04-24.
- Spivack, Nova (2011-03-23). "The Venture Production Studio Model". Minding the Planet.
- Collins, John (2011-02-18). "Web Log". Irish Times. Retrieved 2011-04-20.
- "Galway Firm Announces Second Silicon Valley Office". Irish World. 2011-03-31. Retrieved 2011-04-20.
- Perez, Juan Carlos (2009-01-21). "Data Portability: Reasonable Goal or Impossible Dream?". Washington Post. Retrieved 2009-12-07.
- "SIOC Ontology: Applications and Implementation Status". w3.org. 2007-06-12. Retrieved 2009-12-06.
- "SearchMonkey vocabularies". Retrieved 2009-12-07.
- Dries Buytaert (2009-10-19). "Just committed RDFa support to Drupal 7!". Retrieved 2009-12-07.
- Steven Pemberton (2010-05-27). "Newsweek using RDFa". Retrieved 2010-06-10.
- Mulley, Damien (2005-12-05). "A New Net Visioned He - Interview with John Breslin". mulley.net. Retrieved 2009-12-06.
- Boran, Marie (2008-02-14). "A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum". Irish Independent. Retrieved 2009-12-06.
- netvisionary.ie (2005-11-17). "IIA Chairman Colm Lyon, Social Contribution winner John Breslin, boards.ie, and Category Sponsor David Curtin of the IE Domain Registry". Archived from the original on November 18, 2007. Retrieved 2009-12-06.
- netvisionary.ie (2006-11-16). "IIA Chairman Colm Lyon, Online Trader winner John Breslin, boards.ie/adverts.ie, and Category Sponsor Stephen McDonagh of Realex Payments". Archived from the original on November 18, 2007. Retrieved 2009-12-06.
- John Breslin, Alexandre Passant, Stefan Decker, "The Social Semantic Web", Springer, ISBN 978-3-642-01171-9, 2009.
- John Breslin, Stefan Decker, "The Future of Social Networks on the Internet: The Need for Semantics", IEEE Internet Computing, vol. 11, pp. 86–90, 2007.
- John Breslin, Andreas Harth, Uldis Bojars, Stefan Decker, "Towards Semantically-Interlinked Online Communities", The 2nd European Semantic Web Conference (ESWC '05), LNCS vol. 3532, pp. 500–514, Heraklion, Greece, 2005.