|Born||10 December 1963|
|Alma mater||University of Cambridge|
University of Pennsylvania
|Occupation||chief executive of the Dunelm Group|
John Browett (born 1963) is a British businessman. Between January 2016 and August 2017 he was chief executive of the Dunelm Group. From March 2013 to February 2015, he was chief executive of the British clothing retailer Monsoon Accessorize, and from April 2012 to October 2012 he was senior vice-president of retail at Apple Inc.
Browett was born in Leicester in 1963. He attended Uppingham Community College, a comprehensive school in Uppingham, then Rutland Sixth Form College in Oakham. He studied Zoology at Magdalene College, Cambridge, worked briefly for Kleinwort Benson, and then did an MBA at the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania in the United States.
From 5 December 2007 to 20 February 2012 Browett was group chief executive of the troubled electronics retailer Dixons, where he helped to improve the company's poor reputation for customer service.
In April 2012 Browett took over from Ron Johnson as senior vice-president of retail at Apple in Cupertino, California. On 29 October 2012 Apple announced that Browett was leaving the company, and that a new head of retail was being sought. In May, 2019, Bloomberg attributed his departure to his "morale-damaging" efforts following employee firings, cut hours, fewer promotions and a reduction in overtime for staff operating within Apple Stores that led to Tim Cook firing him.
In March 2013 Browett was appointed chief executive of Monsoon Accessorize. In his first year in charge the company returned to profitability, with pre-tax profits of £18.1 million in the financial year to 31 August 2013, compared to a pre-tax loss of £2.4 million in the previous year.
He left Monsoon in February 2015, and became chief executive designate of the Dunelm Group from July of that year, expected to take over the position from January 2016. By the end of August 2017 Browett had left Dunelm where he was seen, as with Apple, as a bad fit for the culture of the company. Since 2018, he has been at BillSave UK.
- Dave Smith (31 January 2012). John Browett: Why Apple Hired Dixons' CEO to Steer Retail. International Business Times. Accessed 1 February 2012.
- "Dunelm names former Dixons CEO John Browett as new boss". telegraph.co.uk. 26 June 2015. Retrieved 4 March 2016.
- Executive profile: John Browett. Bloomsburg BusinessWeek. Archived 29 January 2015.
- Rupert Neate (31 January 2012). Apple poaches Dixons chief, John Browett. The Guardian. Accessed 1 February 2012.
- John Browett: Senior Vice President, Retail. Apple Inc. Archived 4 May 2012.
- [Apple Press Info] (29 October 2012).Apple Announces Changes to Increase Collaboration Across Hardware, Software & Services. Apple Inc. Archived 29 October 2012.
- "How the Apple Store Lost Its Luster". 9 May 2019. Retrieved 9 May 2019.
- Graham Ruddick (7 February 2014). Monsoon back in the black as former Apple boss boosts sales. The Telegraph. Accessed January 2015.
- Tiffany Holland (7 February 2014). Monsoon Accessorize 'back on track' under new boss John Browett. Retail Week. Accessed January 2015.
- Conor Sullivan (30 August 2017). Homewares retailer Dunelm parts ways with chief executive. The Financial Times. Accessed 22 October 2017.