John Browne, 1st Earl of Altamont
John Browne, 1st Earl of Altamont (born c. 1709 – 4 July 1776), known as The Lord Mount Eagle between 1760 and 1768 and as The Viscount Westport between 1768 and 1771, was an Irish peer and politician.
Background and education
Browne was the son of Peter Browne and Mary Daly. He matriculated at Christ Church, Oxford, in July 1725.
Browne was High Sheriff of Mayo in 1731, and was elected Member of Parliament for Castlebar in 1744, an office he held until 1760. He was raised to the Peerage of Ireland as Baron Mount Eagle, of Westport in the County of Mayo, and in 1768 he was created Viscount Westport, of Westport in the County of Mayo. In 1771 he was even further honoured when he was made Earl of Altamont, in the County of Mayo.
Family and issue
- Peter Browne, 2nd Earl of Altamont, c. 1731 – 28 Dec 1780
- Rt. Hon. Colonel Arthur Browne (b. 14 Mar 1731 – 21 Jul 1779, Boston, New England), served at Quebec, 1770s MP for Mayo.
- Lady Anne Browne, c. 1740 – 21 Feb 1815
- Hon. George Browne, MP for County Mayo, c. 1735–1782; a grandfather of the 1st Lord Oranmore and Browne
- Hon. James Browne, MP for Castlebar and Prime Serjeant of Ireland, c. 1736–1790
- Hon. Henry Browne, (b. 1738; d. 28 Jan 1811, Molesworth Street, Dublin)
- Hon. John Browne, married Mary Cocks; their daughter Mary Browne married on 14 May 1800 Peter Blake of Corbally Castle, County Galway (? - 1842, bur. Peter’s Well, County Galway); their grandson Peter Blake of Corbally Castle (c. 1805 - bur. St. Ann's, Dublin, 19 November 1850), was a Galway-born county Inspector of the Irish Constabulary, and married at Mobarnan, County Tipperary, Jane Lane (Lanespark, County Tipperary, 5 March 1819 - ?), daughter of John Lane of Lanespark, County Tipperary; their great-grandson was Sir Henry Arthur Blake
- "Browne family tree.". Thesilverbowl.com. Retrieved 6 November 2014.
- Westport House and the Brownes, Denis Browne, Westport, 1981
- Dictionary of Irish Biography, p.917, Cambridge, 2010
|Parliament of Ireland|
|Member of Parliament for Castlebar
With: John Wynne to 1747
Henry Mitchell 1747–1761
Sir Charles Bingham, 7th Bt
|Peerage of Ireland|
|New creation||Earl of Altamont
|New creation||Viscount Westport
|New creation||Baron Mount Eagle