John Burton (political agent)
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
John Burton was a Labour Party councillor in County Durham, England. He was a member of Sedgefield Borough Council, representing the ward of Fishburn and Old Trimdon. However, he is most notable for being the constituency agent of former British Prime Minister Tony Blair, who represented the Sedgefield constituency from 1983 until standing down as Prime Minister in 2007.
Relationship with Tony Blair
Burton was one of the first to spot the potential of the young Tony Blair. When the new Sedgefield constituency was created for the 1983 general election, which included Burton's home of Trimdon, the local Labour Party found themselves needing to appoint a candidate for the forthcoming election at short notice. Blair, then a London-based barrister, identified Burton as a branch secretary willing to consider his candidature and travelled to Trimdon (Burton's power base) to put his case. Blair secured the nomination, was elected an MP and began his political rise. Burton has remained one of Blair's inner circle. In the Sedgefield Council Register of Members' Interests Burton also lists himself as Political Assistant to Rt. Hon. Tony Blair, MP Myrobella House, Farfield Terrace, Trimdon Station, Co. Durham, TS29 6DU.
According to Sedgefield Council's Register of Members' Interests, Burton is a member of the Transport and General Workers' Union, a church warden, and a governor of Trimdon College. He was formerly a physical education teacher. He is, unlike the Newcastle-supporting Blair, a devoted fan of Sunderland A.F.C..
- "Councillor Details - Councillor John Burton". Sedgefield Borough Council. Retrieved 2008-03-14.
- Description of first meeting[unreliable source?]
- Rentoul, John (2001). Tony Blair: Prime Minister. Little Brown. p117 ISBN 0-316-85496-4.
- Rawnsley, Andrew (2000). Servants of the People: The Inside Story of New Labour. Hamish Hamilton. p98 ISBN 0-241-14029-3
- Oliver Marre (2007-12-09). "Will Tony's change of faith go for a Burton?". The Observer. Retrieved 2008-03-14.
- Nigel Burton (2007-11-14). "Tony Blair launches new NE initiative". Northern Echo. Retrieved 2008-03-14.