John Butler, 17th Earl of Ormonde
John Butler, 17th Earl of Ormonde and 10th Earl of Ossory (10 December 1740 – 25 December 1795) was an Irish peer and Member of Parliament (MP). He represented Gowran between 1776 and 1783, and Kilkenny City between 1783 and 1792. In 1791, his right to the Peerage was acknowledged in the Irish House of Lords.
- Richard Butler of Kilcash, the youngest son of Viscount Thurles, brother of the 1st Duke.
- Walter Butler of Garryricken (Kilcash), eldest son of Richard, great-grandson of the 11 Earl.
- Colonel Thomas Butler of Garryricken, eldest son of Walter.
- John Butler, 15th Earl of Ormonde, son of Colonel Thomas, great-grandson of the 1st Duke.
- John Butler of Garryricken, second son of Walter and brother of Colonel Thomas, grand-nephew of the 1st Duke.
- Walter Butler, 16th Earl of Ormonde, son of John, great-great-great-grandson of the 11th Earl and the first cousin of the 15th Earl.
- John Butler, 17th Earl of Ormonde, son of the 16th Earl and of Ellen Morris.
Marriage and Children
He married Frances Susan Elizabeth Wandesford, (also known as Anne) daughter and heiress of John Wandesford, 1st Earl Wandesford and the 5th Viscount Castlecomer and Agnes Elizabeth Southall, on 14 February 1769.
- Walter Butler, 1st Marquess of Ormonde (1770–1820), who married Anna Maria Catherine Clarke, only daughter of Joseph Hart Pryce Clarke. The Marquisate was created in the Peerage of Ireland.
- James Butler, 1st Marquess of Ormonde (1777–1838), who married Grace Louisa Staples, daughter of Rt. Hon. John Staples. The Marquisate was created in the Peerage of the United Kingdom.
- Charles Harward Butler (1781–1860), who married firstly Lady Sarah Butler, daughter of Henry Thomas Butler, 2nd Earl of Carrick and, secondly, Lucy French, daughter of Arthur French.
- Eleanor Butler, died 1859, who married Cornelius O’Callaghan, 1st Viscount Lismore (1775–1857) in 1808. They were divorced in 1826.
- Elizabeth Butler, died 1822, married 1799, Thomas Kavanagh (1767–1837), The MacMorrough.
|Parliament of Ireland|
|Member of Parliament for Gowran
With: James Agar 1776–77
Sir Boyle Roche, 1st Bt 1777–83
Hon. Henry Welbore Agar
Gervase Parker Bushe
|Member of Parliament for Kilkenny City
With: William Cuffe
Hon. John Wandesford Butler
|Peerage of Ireland|
|Earl of Ormonde
|This article about a Member of the Parliament of Ireland (up to 1800) is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biography of an earl in the Peerage of Ireland is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|