John Butler, 2nd Marquess of Ormonde
|The Most Honourable
The Marquess of Ormonde
|Born||24 August 1808|
|Died||25 September 1854|
|Spouse(s)||Frances Jane Paget|
John Butler, 2nd Marquess of Ormonde, KP (24 August 1808 – 25 September 1854) was an Irish politician and peer.
He was the son of James Butler, 1st Marquess of Ormonde and Grace Louisa Staples. He married Frances Jane Paget, daughter of General Hon. Sir Edward Paget, GCB and Lady Harriet Legge, on 19 September 1843.
He held the office of a Lord-in-Waiting between 1841 and 1852 and between 1853 and 1854 He was invested as a Knight, Order of St Patrick (K.P.) in 1845. He was elected as Member of Parliament (MP) for County Kilkenny in 1830, and held the seat until 1832.
He was the author of An Autumn in Sicily, Dublin: Hodges and Smith, 1850.
Marriage and Children
The Marquess and Marchioness had four sons and two daughters:
- The Most Hon. James Butler, 3rd Marquess of Ormonde (1844–1919), married Lady Elizabeth Harriet Grosvenor, daughter of Hugh Lupus Grosvenor, 1st Duke of Westminster and had issue.
- Lady Lady Mary Grace Louisa Butler (1846–1929), married Hon. William Henry Fitzwilliam, and had issue.
- Lord James Herbert Thomas Butler (1847–1867)
- The Most Hon. James Arthur Wellington Foley Butler, 4th Marquess of Ormonde (1849–1943), married Ellen Sprague and had issue.
- Lord James Theobald Bagot John Butler (1852–1929), married Annabella Brydon and had issue, including James Butler, 7th Marquess of Ormonde.
- Lady Lady Blanche Henrietta Maria Butler (1854–1914), married Colonel Hon. Cuthbert Ellison Edwardes, son of 3rd Baron Kensington, and had issue.
He was succeeded by his eldest son. His grave can be found in St Canice's Cathedral in Kilkenny.
- "The Peerage". Retrieved 11 February 2016.
- "Lords of the Castle". Retrieved 11 February 2016.
- Mosley, Charles, editor. (2003). Burke's Peerage, . :. Wilmington, Delaware, U.S.A.: Baronetage & Knightage, 107th edition, 3 volumes.
- "An Autumn in Sicily". Retrieved 12 February 2016.
- "Historic graves". Retrieved 12 February 2016.
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by John Butler
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
|Member of Parliament for County Kilkenny
1830 – 1832
With: Viscount Duncannon
William Francis Finn
The Earl of Morton
|Peerage of the United Kingdom|
James Wandesford Butler
|Marquess of Ormonde
James Arthur Butler
|This biography of a marquess in the peerage of the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a Member of the Parliament of the United Kingdom, for a constituency in Ireland between 1801 and 1922 is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|