John C. Goodman
John C. Goodman is a libertarian economist. He was the founding chief executive of the free-market think-tank the National Center for Policy Analysis. He is a senior fellow at the Independent Institute. The Wall Street Journal and The National Journal have called Goodman the "father of Health Savings Accounts". Goodman is the President and CEO of Goodman Institute for Public Policy Research.
Goodman received his Ph.D. in economics from Columbia University.
In his 2012 book Priceless: Curing the Healthcare Crisis, Goodman asserts that empowering both patients and caregivers to control healthcare decisions produces greater patient satisfaction at substantially lower costs. The book emphasizes the importance that patients, payers and providers each operate according to economic incentives that encourage them consider both the costs and benefits of care, innovate to improve outcomes and lower costs and provide subsidies that do not arbitrarily benefit one group (like workers at companies that provide insurance) at the expense of other groups (like workers at companies that do not).
- The regulation of medical care: Is the price too high? (Cato public policy research monograph) (1980)
- National Health Care in Great Britain (1980) ISBN 0933028040
- Social Security in the United Kingdom: Contracting Out of the System (Aei Studies, 335) (1981) ISBN 0844734608
- Economics of Public Policy: The Micro View, with Edwin G. Dolan (1985)
- Fighting the War of Ideas in Latin America, with Ramona Marotz-Baden (1990) ISBN 0943802431
- Patient Power: Solving America's Health Care Crisis (1992) ISBN 0932790917
- Patient Power: The Free-Enterprise Alternative to Clinton's Health Plan, with Gerald L. Musgrave (1993) ISBN 1882577108
- Economics of Public Policy, with Edwin G. Dolan (1995) ISBN 0314852387
- Lives at Risk: Single-Payer National Health Insurance Around the World, with Gerald L. Musgrave, Devon M. Herrick and Milton Friedman (2004) ISBN 0742541525
- Goodman, John C. (2008). "Health Insurance". In David R. Henderson (ed.). Concise Encyclopedia of Economics (2nd ed.). Indianapolis: Library of Economics and Liberty. ISBN 978-0865976658. OCLC 237794267.
- Goodman, John C. (2012). Priceless: Curing the Healthcare Crisis. The Independent Institute. ISBN 978-1598130836.
- Landers, Jim (2014-06-12). "John Goodman ousted as head of National Center for Policy Analysis". Dallas Morning News. Retrieved 3 September 2014.
- Young, Michael E. (April 11, 2004). "No easy label; Dr. John Goodman flinches at being called 'conservative' while his think tank pumps out plenty of info for Washington to chew on". The Dallas Morning News. p. 2E.
- "John C. Goodman, PhD.". NCPA. Retrieved 2012-02-01.
- O'Donnell, Jayne (16 December 2015). "State by state data show bigger 2016 exchange premium, deductible jumps". USA Today. Retrieved 16 December 2015.
- Goodman 2012.
- "john c. goodman: Books". Amazon.com. Retrieved 2012-10-07.