John Cafiero is an American punk rock musician, film director and film producer. He is best known as the frontman for the punk supergroup Osaka Popstar, whose debut album was released the summer 2006. The full album lineup toured the UK in September 2006, followed by a tour of the United States and Canada with the legendary punk band The Misfits in Fiend Fest '06.
Cafiero directed and co-produced (with wife Suzanne Cafiero) the music videos of American Psycho and Dig Up Her Bones, which appeared on MTV's 120 Minutes and Public-access television cable TV in the United States, and on MTV Japan and the Space Shower TV channel in Japan in late 1997. They were screened at the Euro-Underground Film Festival and Rhode Island International Film Festival in late 1998, garnering a "Best of Fest" award for the former and a Horror Writers Association nomination.
For his direct-to-video but feature-length directorial debut he directed and co-produced (again with wife Suzanne Cafiero) Big Money Hustlas for the Insane Clown Posse and appeared in front of the camera as "The Director" alongside The Misfits as themselves. The film was released in 2000 and topped the billboard video sales charts for several weeks. Over the course of nine months in 2003 – 2004, he directed a documentary about the punk band Ramones, entitled Ramones: Raw.
In 1998, Cafiero wrote and sang (as guest vocalist) the song "I Wanna Be a NY Ranger" with the Misfits. In a Hit Parader article on the song, he names the Ramones as his childhood heroes and the New York Rangers as a defining New York team.
- "Misfits Records Presents "Fiend Fest '06" Featuring the Misfits With Special Guest Appearance by Osaka Popstar and the American Legends of Punk!" (Press release). Market Wire. 2006-09-12. Retrieved 2006-09-21.
- "Film Festival Screenings". Official Misfits Website. Archived from the original on 2006-06-28. Retrieved 2006-09-21.
- "Bio". Official Misfits Website. Archived from the original on 2006-05-15. Retrieved 2006-09-21.
- "Big Money Hustlas". IMDB. Retrieved 2006-09-21.
- Ian Jane (2004-12-21). "Ramones - Raw". Maniac Reviews. DVD Maniacs. Archived from the original on 2006-05-11. Retrieved 2006-09-21.
- Jennifer Vineyard (2004-10-22). "Marky Ramone Hopes To Show The Ramones' Happier Days With 'Raw'". MTV News. Retrieved 2006-09-21.
- "I Wanna Be A NY Ranger". Official Misfits Website. Archived from the original on 2006-10-21. Retrieved 2006-09-21.
- "Misfits Meet the NY Rangers in April's Hit Parader". Official Misfits Website. Archived from the original on 2006-10-21. Retrieved 2006-09-21.
- Rene Daigle (April 2002). "I Wanna Be A NY Ranger". Hit Parader.