John L. Cardy
|Born||March 19, 1947|
|Residence||Walnut Creek, California|
|Known for||Conformal field theory, Quantum quench|
|Institutions||University of California, Berkeley, All Souls College, Oxford|
John Lawrence Cardy FRS (born 19 March 1947, England) is a British-American theoretical physicist at the University of California, Berkeley. He is best known for his work in theoretical condensed matter physics and statistical mechanics, and in particular for research on critical phenomena and two-dimensional conformal field theory.
He was an undergraduate and postgraduate student at Downing College, University of Cambridge, before moving to the University of California, Santa Barbara, where he joined the faculty in 1977. In 1993, he moved to the University of Oxford, where until 2014 he was a Fellow of All Souls College (now Emeritus) and a Professor of Physics in the Rudolf Peierls Centre for Theoretical Physics. He currently holds a Visiting Professorship at the University of California, Berkeley.
He was elected as a Fellow of the Royal Society in 1991, received the Dirac Medal of the IoP in 2000, was awarded the Lars Onsager Prize by the APS in 2004, the Boltzmann Medal by IUPAP in 2010, and the Dirac Medal of the International Centre for Theoretical Physics in 2011.
He is most known for his contributions to conformal field theory. The famous Cardy formula for black hole entropy, the Cardy formula in percolation theory, and the Cardy conditions in boundary conformal field theory are named after him.
- Scaling and renormalization in statistical physics. Cambridge University Press, 1996
- with Krzysztof Gawedzki, Gregory Falkovich: Non equilibrium statistical mechanics and turbulence. London Mathematical Society Lecture notes, Cambridge University Press, 2008
- Conformal Invariance and Statistical Mechanics. in Les Houches Lectures, vol. 49, 1988
- as editor: Finite Size Scaling. Elsevier 1988
- Cardy Conformal Invariance in Percolation, Self-Avoiding Walks and Related Problems, 2002
- Cardy Conformal field theory and statistical mechanics, Les Houches Lectures 2008
- Cardy, Pasquale Calabrese Entanglement entropy and conformal field theory, J. Phys. A, 42, 2009
- Cardy Entanglement entropy in extended quantum systems, 2007
- Guggenheim Foundation: Annual Report 1985.
- "Directory of Fellows and Foreign Members". The Royal Society. Retrieved 2009-11-12.
- "Recipients of the Dirac medal of the Institute of Physics". Institute of Physics. Retrieved 2009-11-12.
- "Prize Recipient". American Physical Society. Retrieved 2009-11-12.
- "Boltzmann Medal". University of Melbourne. Retrieved 2010-02-08.
- "Dirac Medallists 2011". Retrieved 2011-08-10.
- John L. Cardy (February 21, 1992). "Critical Percolation in Finite Geometries". Journal of Physics A: Mathematical and General. 25 (4): L201–L206. arXiv:hep-th/9111026. Bibcode:1992JPhA...25L.201C. doi:10.1088/0305-4470/25/4/009. arXiv:hep-th/9111026v1.
|This article about a physicist of the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|