John Carmichael (politician)
|Member of the Canadian Parliament
for Don Valley West
May 30, 2011
|Preceded by||Rob Oliphant|
February 14, 1952 |
John Carmichael (born February 14, 1952) is a Canadian politician, who was elected to the Canadian House of Commons in the 2011 election. He represents the Toronto riding of Don Valley West as a member of the Conservative Party.
Carmichael was born in Toronto. He owned and operated City Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC Ltd. He and his wife Kerry raised three children.
Carmichael ran as the Conservative party candidate in the riding of Don Valley West in 2006 and 2008 federal elections, losing both times to Liberals John Godfrey and Rob Oliphant. In the 2011 election he defeated incumbent Oliphant by 611 votes. He serves as a backbench supporter of the Stephen Harper government.
In 2011, he sponsored a private member's bill called National Flag of Canada Act that provides protections for anyone who wants to fly the flag of Canada. The new law makes it illegal for anyone to prevent someone else from flying the flag. Penalties range from fines to up to two years in jail. Critics called the bill an excuse to enshrine patriotism in law.
|Canadian federal election, 2011|
|New Democratic||Nicole Yovanoff||6,280||11.74||+1.55||–|
|Total valid votes||53,482||100.00||–|
|Total rejected ballots||176||0.33||–|
|Canadian federal election, 2008|
|New Democratic||David Sparrow||5,102||10.19||+1.1||$67,984|
|Total valid votes/Expense limit||50,072||100.00||$85,470|
|Total rejected ballots||–|
|Canadian federal election, 2006|
|New Democratic||David Thomas||4,902||9.1||+0.5|
|Canadian Action||Paul Barnes||151||0.3|
|Total valid votes||53,802||100.0|
- "Election results...riding by riding". The Globe and Mail. January 24, 2006. p. A16.
- "Greater Toronto Area Results". The Toronto Star. October 15, 2008. p. U2.
- "Riding results from across Canada". Edmonton Journal. May 3, 2011. p. A6.
- Taber, Jane (28 September 2011). "MP’s bid to protect flag adds another notch to Harper’s patriotic belt". The Globe and Mail. Retrieved 28 September 2011.
- Taber, Jane (October 6, 2011). "Tory MP wraps himself in flag, but forgets to fly one at home". The Globe and Mail. p. A4.