December 12, 1942|
New York City, New York, United States
July 20, 2013 (aged 70)|
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
|Occupation||Model agent, entrepreneur|
Marie Christine (1965-1970; divorced)|
Jeanette Christiansen (1978-1983; divorced)
Aline Wermelinger (1993–2013; his death)
|Children||John, Fernando, Cecile, Nina, Alexa, Valentina, & Julian Casablancas|
Casablancas was born in Manhattan, New York City, on December 12, 1942, the youngest of three children of Fernando and Antonia Casablancas, and grandson of Spanish textile machinery inventor Fernando Casablancas Planell. His parents had fled to the United States to escape the Spanish Civil War during the 1930s.
Casablancas founded the Elite Model Management, a modeling agency, in 1972 in Paris, France. Casablancas is credited for developing the concept of supermodel in the popular culture, turning models into celebrities that were featured in mass media as personalities rather than just faces. Elite proved to be a success, grossing nearly $100 million in annual model bookings during the years that Casablancas ran the day-to-day operations of the agency.
Personal life and death
Casablancas divorced Jeanette Christiansen, his second wife. Casablancas is the father of Julian Casablancas, the lead vocalist of the American bands, The Strokes and The Voidz. He also had three younger children with his third wife Aline Casablancas (née Aline Mendonça de Carvalho Wermelinger), who was the winner of Elite Model Look 1992 in Brazil.
- "Casablancas: The Man Who Loved Women", 2016 documentary (81 minute-long) by Hubert Woroniecki.
- Wilson, Eric (2013-07-20). "John Casablancas, Modeling Visionary, Dies at 70". New York Times. Retrieved 2013-08-17.
- Cabana, Francesc (July 28, 2013). "La família Casablancas". El Punt Avui (in Catalan). Retrieved November 2, 2017.
John Casablancas Ubach... era el nét de Ferran Casablancas Planell (1874-1960)... John Casablancas era fill de Ferran Casablancas Bertran, el germà gran de la família.
- John Casablancas obituary: Agent whose company, Elite, ushered in the era of the supermodel - The Independent
- Casablancas, John. "John Casablancas: Modeling, Acting". www.jcasablancas.com.
- Wilson, Eric (2013-07-20). "John Casablancas, Modeling Visionary, Dies at 70". New York Times. Retrieved 2017-04-24.
- LIMA ABIB, Alberto. A família Wermelinger: uma aventura em dois continentes (a imigração suíça de 1819–1820). 2000, self edition, 391p, ISBN 9788590146612
|This article about an American person related to fashion is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about an American businessperson born in the 1940s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|