John Cassidy (chancellor)
|6th Chancellor of the University of New England|
|Preceded by||Pat O'Shane|
|Succeeded by||Richard Torbay|
|Alma mater||University of Newcastle|
Much of Cassidy’s career was in civil engineering. He studied at the University of Newcastle, where he graduated with a Bachelor of Engineering (Civil). His career included stints abroad between 1975 and 1985. In the late 1980s, Cassidy became CEO of the construction company Abigroup. Having built and diversified the company, Cassidy retired as CEO of Abigroup in early 2004. In 1982, Cassidy purchased the grazing property Merilba at Kingstown, where he became associated with the breeding of South Devon cattle, as well as other livestock, and more recent times, the growing wine grapes on the property.
Cassidy was appointed chancellor by the University Council on 11 December 2003, and was installed at a graduation ceremony the following March. In 2007, Cassidy was made an Officer of the Order of Australia for service to university administration, to the civil engineering and construction industries, and to the community. He also became involved with other educational institutions, including the New England Conservatorium of Music and the New England Girls School, where in 2006 he underwrote the school’s A$ 4 million debt.
In 2008, Cassidy became embroiled in a dispute with the university vice-chancellor, Alan Pettigrew over the demarcation of roles between the two offices. In June 2008, the staff passed motions of no confidence in the chancellor. Despite attempts at mediation by Sir Laurence Street, on 10 November 2008, it was announced that Cassidy's appointment as chancellor would not be renewed for a second term, and he was replaced by Richard Torbay.
- "Governance". University of New England - Alumni. University of New England Alumni Relations. Retrieved 19 December 2008.
- "John Cassidy". Focus Magazine. Archived from the original on 22 July 2008. Retrieved 19 December 2008. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "CASSIDY John Marcus". It's an Honour. Australian Government. Retrieved 19 December 2008.
- Milburn, Jane. "Making a difference". Milburn Media and Marketing. Retrieved 19 December 2008.
- Lane, Bernard (5 June 2008). "Staff have no confidence in UNE chancellor John Cassidy". The Australian. Retrieved 19 December 2008.
- Alexander, Harriet (13 June 2008). "Former judge to advise uni on dispute". Brisbane Times. Retrieved 19 December 2008.
- Lane, Bernard (10 November 2008). "Richard Torbay named new UNE chancellor". The Australian. Retrieved 19 December 2008.
- Hare, Julie; Lane, Beranrd (8 July 2014). "Second UNE chancellor to face corruption watchdog". The Australian. Retrieved 28 February 2015.
| Chancellor of the University of New England
2004 - 2008