John Cavell (bishop)
|Bishop of Southampton|
|Church||Church of England|
|Diocese||Diocese of Winchester|
|Other posts||Bishop to HM Prisons and Borstals (1975–1985)
Honorary assistant bishop in Salisbury (1988–2010)
|Ordination||May 1940 (deacon); 11 June 1941 (priest)|
|Born||4 November 1916|
|Died||19 May 2017(aged 100)|
|Parents||William & Edith Warner|
|Spouse||Mary Penman (m. 1942; d. 1988)|
|Alma mater||Queens College, Cambridge|
Early life and education
He began his career with Curacies at Christ Church, Folkestone and Addington Parish Church, Croydon. He was then successively Secretary of the Church Missionary Society, and Vicar of Christ Church, Cheltenham. From 1962-72, he was Vicar of St Andrew's Church, Plymouth, and also Rural Dean of Plymouth between 1967 and 1972.
In February 1972, Cavell was consecrated a bishop by Michael Ramsey, Archbishop of Canterbury, at Westminster Abbey. He then served as Bishop of Southampton, a suffragan bishop in the Diocese of Winchester. He was also appointed the Bishop of Prisons in June 1975. He retired from full-time ministry on 30 June 1984.
Later life and death
In retirement, Cavell continued to serve the Church of England. From 1988 to 2010, he was an honorary assistant bishop in the Diocese of Salisbury. He was also an honorary canon of Salisbury Cathedral, and was appointed Canon Emeritus in 2010. Cavell turned 100 in November 2016 and died on 19 May 2017.
- Diocese of Salisbury — Tribute to John Cavell
- Who's Who2008: London, A & C Black; ISBN 978-0-7136-8555-8
- "Trinity Ordinations (Archived; subscription only)". Church Times (#4035). 24 May 1940. p. 386. ISSN 0009-658X. Retrieved 7 June 2016. (Subscription required (. ))
- "Trinity Ordinations (Archived; subscription only)". Church Times (#4091). 20 June 1941. p. 360. ISSN 0009-658X. Retrieved 7 June 2016. (Subscription required (. ))
- Thoughtful pastor whose ideal Sunday was a 'good Matins, a good sermon and a good lunch Daily Telegraph Obituaries p29 Issue no 50,392 dated Saturday 27 May 2017
- Christ Church, Cheltenham website, christchurchcheltenham.org.uk; accessed 23 May 2017.
- "CAVELL, John Kingsmill". Who's Who 2017. Oxford University Press. November 2016. Retrieved 2 December 2016.
- "photo caption (Archived; subscription only)". Church Times (#5687). 11 February 1972. p. 20. ISSN 0009-658X. Retrieved 7 June 2016. (Subscription required (. ))
- "Gazette: Personal (Archived; subscription only)". Church Times (#5860). 6 June 1975. p. 15. ISSN 0009-658X. Retrieved 7 June 2016. (Subscription required (. ))
- "Bishop of Southampton to retire (Archived; subscription only)". Church Times (#6315). 24 February 1982. p. 5. ISSN 0009-658X. Retrieved 7 June 2016. (Subscription required (. ))
- The Times, Friday, 24 February 1984; pg. 14; Issue 61766; col E; "Bishop to retire".
- Sarah Mullally. "Give thanks for Bishop John Cavell 100 today". Diocese of Exeter. Retrieved 23 May 2017.
|Church of England titles|
|Bishop of Southampton
|Bishop to HM Prisons and Borstals
Br Michael (Fisher)
|This article about a Church of England bishop is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|